• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8" leaf springs

big silver xj

NAXJA Forum User
Who makes 'em? I know Rusty's does, but was just wondering who else?
My current set up is getting old... extended shackles - 2" block - custom stacked stock leafs (12 pack)...

I do like my set up... my debate. To get rid of the blocks and just run the extended shackles and taller spring w/ RE's antiwrap spring pads(?). Pros - more travel; Cons - more axle wrap, more money
-OR-
Rearch what I have, machine blocks for proper driveline angle, and go with a boomerang shackle for improved articulation. Pros - most cost effective, Virtually no axle wrap (stiff springs), boomerangs (if purchased) will improve flex; Cons - rearch will only last so long

Opinions please... The thing to keep in mind is cost effective, I need to be as inexpensive as possible(cheap), because my wifes YJ isn't done yet... or started.

rustys doesn't make a full 8" pack. their large xj comes with 6.5" leaves and uses a ext shackle. there is no one out there that i know of other than calling national or alcan that makes a true full 8" pack. and to my knowledge deaver stopped making them. most kits come with pack/shackle combos, rustys, re, sj, etc all do this. me, im anti lift block. never ran them but ive been on the trail and have seen them fail or just fall the f*ck out. been told by people that have ran them the wished they would have never done it.

here is what im getting.

http://www.bigoffroad.com/vendors/bigoffroad/index.htm

these are made by alcan but designed for bigoffroad. have talked to johnjohn and these are what we are going to run when the significant other releases jeep fundage. IMHO, there's no sense in halfassing it when i know that if i wanted instant lift i could nickle and dime stuff with blocks or what not but id be dealing with it later on. rather save the funds up and do it right, but that's just me.

jp

jpx3 said:

Well, tit for tat... we learn something new everyday! Last time I talked with Rusty, they do make a 8.5" spring pack. FYI. But like you stated they're not as popular so they list what everyone else is doing, hence, 6" spring and shackle.
I didn't know about Bigoffroad... those look like some pretty HD springs, I like 'em, just out of the price range. Still very interesting...

A positive note on the blocks... I've been running them for 2 years w/ absolutly no problems. I've ran them with 33"s and now 36"s and they've worked fine. I have video proof of jumping the heep at Silver Lake about a dozen times. One jump was about 4-5 height and about 30ft out and a bunch were little bunny hops over Test Hill in 2wd! Made damn good video!

surprised that isn't on their site. wonder if they build them or source out for that? what info did they give you on them? price, bushings?

the more you know. lol.

jp

depends on the person wheeling. by spring ill be protected inside, outside, upside down and elsewhere so ill feel more than confident running 8" (settled with an axx load of gear, cage, etc) in back/front, 35"s, etc. not saying you have to be caged, know lots of people at 8-9" that wheel hard. laying over happens and we all know its the risk. end threadjack.

jp

xj9140 said:
correct me if i'm wrong but, i'm pretty sure a flat leafspring will HaVE more susspension travel than one with a arch??

techinically that's wrong, an arced spring will be able to arc more under droop, and flatten out if the shackle is of correct length. However highly arched springs are usually very stiff, and do not like to flatten out or droop further. I have a very moderate arc in my springs, and I like them a whole lot. I'm at around 5-5.5" of lift and use RE 4.5" packs with the smallest leaf removed and a larger leaf added..

The bigoffroads give a lot of lift and quite an arc, but apparantly what I hear from people that have them is they break in very nicely after a while (must be loaded down with 350+ lbs of equipment) and flex well. Meaning, they were unhappy with them at first, but are now super pleased with them after the break in period.

_nicko_

helix said:
my responce would be why do you need 8" of lift? can you say towwwwwwer

My response would be, "Why wouldn't you want 8" of lift?" Besides I have 10" w/ 36" Iroks... Cyrus is here on the boards, I'm sure he has either posted pictures of ours or will be... His is 10"+ of lift and 36" Iroks. Someone else by me has pretty much the same lift as I do with 38" ssSX's. I think BIG XJ's are becoming more popular. It's kind of fun being on the trail now sitting taller than most the Wranglers out there.

big silver xj said:
My response would be, "Why wouldn't you want 8" of lift?" Besides I have 10" w/ 36" Iroks... Cyrus is here on the boards, I'm sure he has either posted pictures of ours or will be... His is 10"+ of lift and 36" Iroks. Someone else by me has pretty much the same lift as I do with 38" ssSX's. I think BIG XJ's are becoming more popular. It's kind of fun being on the trail now sitting taller than most the Wranglers out there.

A guy localy has a XJ on 42's and over 12" of lift...

Redline

Back