• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box

Skeetdog

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a steering box in my XJ and now the power steering pump is making noise. The pump had no issues before the install. Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong and what I can do to solve this problem besides installing a new pump. Could the new steering box (remanufactured) not be working correctly and make the power steering box make noises. All I did was disconnect the hard lines from the old steering box and put in the new box.

Thanks In Advance

Skeet

did you bleed the steering box??

There are prolly some air bubbles still left in the system

you didnt mention how much you have been driving it ..
I would just keep working the steering back and forth for a while
ps Im goin through the same thing

It's probably air, if it's making that groaning sound. I've had them groan for years. When they start to make a rattling sound, it often means it may be failing.
It's recommened to flush a new steering box before installation. There is often one of those information papers packed with a rebuilt box, saying failure to purge/flush the box voids the warranty.

Back