• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator removal

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
I limped home on my RedTop yesterday from RedBird. I don't think alt's like the water too much. Did a quick search but didn't find what I needed.

Do I have to remove the bracket to remove the alt?? Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Haleyes.

Haleyes said:
I limped home on my RedTop yesterday from RedBird. I don't think alt's like the water too much. Did a quick search but didn't find what I needed.

Do I have to remove the bracket to remove the alt?? Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Haleyes.

No. Loosen the belt, and there are two bolts, one towards the top, one towards the bottom. With no skid plate on, I can swap out an alternator on an xj in about eight minutes.

I've got the alt free. But I can't lower it down. Bracket is in the way on one side and the AC stuff on the other.

EDIT:
I got it out. I loosened the AC stuff and pushed it out of the way.
Thanks, sometimes I get a little impatient!:wave:

Last edited:
Haleyes said:
I've got the alt free. But I can't lower it down. Bracket is in the way on one side and the AC stuff on the other.

EDIT:
I got it out. I loosened the AC stuff and pushed it out of the way.
Thanks, sometimes I get a little impatient!:wave:

I had to take a little 8" crowbar I have and pry it really hard to break it loose. The bracketry is tight and it really is squeezed in there.

Back