• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX4? into a 4.0 MJ

LazarusMJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4 speed out of a 4 banger early 90's XJ and was wondering if there would be any strength issues with swaping it for my BA10/5.

The peugot has problems shifting when its cold and leaks constantly. I have to replace the clutch soon, so if the 4 speed will hold up I'll just slap that in.

Also, I have 4.10 gears and was concerned about the gearing with a 4 speed 4.0

TIA for any help.

The tranny you're referring to is actually the 5-speed AX5 fitted to all 2.5 XJ's. It's too weak to go behind a 4.0. You need the much stronger 5-speed AX15 from '89.5-'99 XJ's, '91-'95 YJ's, and '96-'99 TJ's.
The 4.10 gears won't be a problem if you have 31" or bigger tires.

Dr. Dyno said:
The tranny you're referring to is actually the 5-speed AX5 fitted to all 2.5 XJ's. It's too weak to go behind a 4.0. You need the much stronger 5-speed AX15 from '89.5-'99 XJ's, '91-'95 YJ's, and '96-'99 TJ's.
The 4.10 gears won't be a problem if you have 31" or bigger tires.

Um, I am pretty sure that it is a 4 speed. I have 30 inch tires and drive it daily. But now that I know that it will be too weak either way, I'll just sell it and try to find a AX15 or something else (NV3550 would be nice!)

Thanks.

I am sorry, I was wrong. I just went and looked at the tranny for the first time since I got it and it is a 5 speed. So yeah, If anyone wants a 5 speed for a 4 banger just let me know.

2.5L trannys won't bolt up to the 4.0L anyway so strength is sorta a moot point. :laugh3:
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

Back