• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Tow, or to Car Trailer the XJ???

Casper

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Gang,
Well I called U-haul today to make sure and reserve a car trailer for the event, but they say that my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee (1995, V8), is not heavy enough to pull my XJ. Not only that, but they say the same with the car dolly. GO FIGURE! Well. I do have a tow bar setup for the XJ, but was hoping to trailer it. In the event that I decide to tow bar the XJ, What do you all recommend. I have never pulled it before, this will be my first time for the XJ to be pulled by a tow bar. IF all goes wrong, I can always borrow my Dad's F250 for the week, and get the trailer, but I would rather use my own vehicles, if you know what I mean.... Any help here would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks,
Casper

Use your Dad's truck to pick up the trailer, then use your junk to tow with. Problem solved?????

Sean

That's B.S!!

I used a tow dolly from Moab to haul my XJ back to Tenn. and my daughter and husband hauled their XJ from SoCal to Moab and back last month. No problem with a Grand. I'd rather do that than tow a trailer cuz the weight is less.

To answer Handlebars, the XJ is not good for the highway anymore. Sean, I figured on doing that exact thing. I was a little worried about problems in the case of accident. But I don't care about that much, I will get the U-haul local dealer here to certify my ZJ. Although I was asking a question, I was more interested in your responses in the event of you all having any simular problems...
Dan Riggs, I agree with you on the Dolly. Did you drop out both drive shafts??? Or just put the transfer case in "N"? I have heard some doing one or the other....
The U-haul dearlship here in Payson is really ridiculous, they want me to hook up the rig and do all that they expect (drivelines, etc.), on site before they will finish the paper work and let me drive off. I have never heard of such a thing. Oh well, sorry for the venting. I was more curious about you all and your examples. SEE YA IN MOAB!!!!!!!!

I've flat-towed my '99 XJ coast to coast twice with many shorter trips in between behind my motorhome. According to the owners manual the t-case should be in Neutral, the auto tranny in Park or the manual tranny in gear. The owners manual also states "CAUTION: Internal damage to the transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing." So it would seem that you'd have to pull the driveshaft if you use a dolly. If you flat tow, don't forget to turn the ignition key to the unlocked off position. BTW, my sis & bro-in-law used to tow a 3,500 lb travel trailer behind their V-8 ZJ without a problem.
See ya in Moab (or 'Maob' as it was called last year).

Ghost...hey this is Bonnie, your blocking buddy on the trip home. Jim owns an 18 wheeler and is checking into getting a flatbed trailer for that week to haul a few XJ's out there.....still in the checking stage. Once he gets the trailer lined up he will figure out the cost and maybe we can share. His Kenworth is a much better camper for us too! E-mail us at [email protected]

I want to thank everyone for their help and information on this towing issue. I am down to two options now, either towing with a dolly or flat towing with a tow bar.

Thanks again,
Casper

I have done both, flat tow and uhauled. But my pulling vehicle was my 92 xj and the towed vehicle was my 86 xj. But were ok, but you had to be careful. The 92 towed ok but ran somewhat hotter than norm, I made all my trips at night, driving from S. Fla to N. Call and KY and even Little Rock Ark. I prefer the uhaul way, the brakes on the trailer help a lot. But I never had the 'gotta hook it up here issue' before leaving the uhaul lot. Good Luck.

I've towed with tow bar, dolly and trailers....i will always from here on out tow on a trailer! There is no better way to tow! If it was me, I would borrow dads truck, let him drive the ZJ for a week and tow the uhaul auto transport out. Dollys are bad, tow bars are worse.

mac 'good luck' gyvr

Back