• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How about a locker...

AJPulley

NAXJA Forum User
I decided to go with a 4.5", 32's and 4.10s. I was thinking about an ARB, but would really like to know what those of you using a Powertrax No-Slip Traction System think of it in the rear? I don't think I want anything real strong since the D35 isn't that strong of an axle. For the front I was also thinking of something like a Detroit Locker. Any thoughts or experiances? If I have some money left over, I may upgrade the axles. By the way, I have the front axle disconect.

don't bother. your very likely to bust up a shaft in a quick way. leave it open. if you insist on wasting money on the 35 then KISS... spend as little as you can on it. like an EZ locker or something used off EBAY.
ajpulley said:
I decided to go with a 4.5", 32's and 4.10s. I was thinking about an ARB, but would really like to know what those of you using a Powertrax No-Slip Traction System think of it in the rear? I don't think I want anything real strong since the D35 isn't that strong of an axle. For the front I was also thinking of something like a Detroit Locker. Any thoughts or experiances? If I have some money left over, I may upgrade the axles. By the way, I have the front axle disconect.

Everyone bashes Powertrax.. I had the original LockRight in my S-10, I *intentionally* tried to hurt it. When I pulled it to sell (get rid of the rig), the unit looked new, not even a sign of wear. I abused the chit out of it for 2 years. It outlasted the transmission, which burnt up. No axle shft problems, nothing. It worked for me, very well, so Ill suggest, for the setup you are aiming at, the old school LockRight from Powertrax.

Good luck, HTH!
Andrew

Rawbrown said:
don't bother. your very likely to bust up a shaft in a quick way. leave it open. if you insist on wasting money on the 35 then KISS... spend as little as you can on it. like an EZ locker or something used off EBAY.
I wish I had the dough to replace the 35, but I don't. So, I have to make due with what I have and keep it's weekness in mind when I'm on the trail. That's why I am not leaning to an and am not going to go to 33s. Like I said, I may ahve some left over to replace the stock axles with Superiors, and use a 30 spline locker. Either way, I have been limited up to this point with NO locking diffs. Any more opinions anyone?

Do it. On 32'' you should not have any problems. Just be mindful of what you have and go have fun.

I had 33'' on stock axle shafts, locked front and rear with never any issues.

Don't get the superiors until you break a shaft. Who knows you might never break a stock shaft. You should have spares any way. If you break one through the spare in, get you superiors and then you will still have spares.

I have a friend who is running 5" lift, 32s, 4.10s and a detroit locker in the D35 with no breakage .... yet. He wheels pretty hard and is just waiting for it to bust so he can upgrade. He's had it in there for > 6 mos. so far. (The only reason he has the D35 in there is because he bought w/ the gears and locker for dirt cheap)

DR

then spend the money on the super kit with the detroit. That is something that you have to commit to right at the get go. you can't put in a lockright then come back later and put in 30 spline shafts.
The biggest problem with the 35 isn't so much the smallish shafts. but alot of issues stem from it being a very week housing. It flexes alot. i have a TJ with a busted 3 month old Detroit in a super 35. I had a 15min conversation with the guys at eaton/tractech out at the SEMA show. one of them told me to do a test. measure from the tire to the fender on both sides. then jack up the rear in under the diff and measure again.
if your on a very tight budget then maybe just find an OEM traclok. its cheap and its an upgrade. and when you kill the rearend you won't be as depressed. The you should have some left over to put a locker up front.

oh and BTW,
I'm not bashing PT. I ran a no-slip for 4 years in my 27 spline 8.25 on 31"s. and I have one in the front of my D30 on 35's right now.
lockrights, quicklocks, aussie's, EZ's are all the same basic design and function.
they all work fin as long as your housing is straight.

If you have the money for that stuff, why not go up to a pick n' pull and grab yourself an old chrystler 8.25. Most likely it'll be the older 27 spline 8.25, but anything is an upgrade from a turdy5. The only cons for the 8.25 are that it can only be geared as low as 4.56, but you're getting 4.10's anyway. And alos, locker selection isn't the greatest.

Look for a used arb thats how i got mine...very cheap and very worth it...i figure once i need to replace the axle i will be able to sell it and not have to worry about lossing money on it

isnt it possible to find a dana 44 from an xj that was standard tranny that came with 4.10's. For a few hundred bucks, i think it would be better than a superior 35 kit. then get a locker

I had a no slip in my 35 with 4.10s and 31's for a while before I put in my 44 with ARB. The no slip worked great off road, but didn't work out well for towing or heavy loads on the road. If you turn tight and the locker locks, something has to give and it's usually the tires chirping. If you're heavily loaded, the tires may get enough traction to make the carrier expand laterally. That's what happend to me- I was way over loaded and made a quick K-turn in the road. A call to richmond gear (and measuring with the spacer) confirmed it stretched the carrier. The locker held up fine though. I sent it back for them to check out (I paid shipping to them) and it was fine. They did send me new springs. It was much quieter and smoother on the road than a lockrite. I liked the fact that it was always locked when needed off road. I occasionally forget to lock the ARB until it's too late.

As a matter of fact, the no slip is for sale, make me an offer!

-Jim C

i forgot where this thread was going.
good luck finding a D44 with 4.10's. manual tranny jeeps typically had 3.07's. and I have yet to see a D44 in a 4cyl jeep which did have 4.10's in a D30 or 8.25.
There are alot of traction options for the 8.25. Especially if you want to spend the couple of bones for a set of 29 spline shafts. then you can get a detroit, truetrac, eaton, ARB, powertrax.

Rawbrown said:
i forgot where this thread was going.
good luck finding a D44 with 4.10's. manual tranny jeeps typically had 3.07's. and I have yet to see a D44 in a 4cyl jeep which did have 4.10's in a D30 or 8.25.
There are alot of traction options for the 8.25. Especially if you want to spend the couple of bones for a set of 29 spline shafts. then you can get a detroit, truetrac, eaton, ARB, powertrax.
Thanks guys, I am just looking for opinions and experiances. No, a stock 44 is not an option unless I had one imported from another state (rust is a major issue here). I will keep reading other's experiances. And, no, no heavey loads or towing... that's what my diesel truck is for.

Back