• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

frame question

jeepinxj99

NAXJA Forum User
since i messed up the bolts for the crossmember (stripped out hole for bolt in frame) my only option looks like to drill about 1 in. hole in the side of the frame rail so a rachet will fit in there so the bolt will be tight enough. is this going to create any problems? I mean there are a bunch of holes in the frame to begin with from the factory.

Some times the threaded insert breaks loose and just spins inside the subframe...If you can pull up the carpet above the holes there are little covers glued down the floor that you could pop up, drill/coerce the old insert out and put a regular nut and bolt in there. I dont think your sacrificing anything if you make a little hole to sneak a ratchet in there...I dont remember if there are real nuts in there though. You could always weld a little cover over the hole later...

alright well i tried the drill a hole through the floor and didnt think before hand and the hole isnt big enough do drop a bolt in there. I was wondering if i should put any type of sealant over the holes i made to prevent water from leaking though. any suggestions?

jeepinxj99 said:
alright well i tried the drill a hole through the floor and didnt think before hand and the hole isnt big enough do drop a bolt in there. I was wondering if i should put any type of sealant over the holes i made to prevent water from leaking though. any suggestions?
OK, so you drilled a hole.... did you not find the BIG plug that covers a BIG hole in the floor?

no actually i didnt.....someone that owed the jeep before me put down dynamat right over that area so its basicially impossible to get up, i couldnt see any plugs becasue of that.

Back