• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant Bottle Cap-Factory and Aftermarket

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've had an aftermarket coolant bottle on my 90 for about a year now, one of the "reinforced" ones. It came with a cap on it that I've used for that past year, however now it's shot, it won't stay tight. I saved the cap off my factory coolant bottle. It's significantly shorter, however it does thread on and it seems to tighten down but I'm just not sure if it will stay tight. Has anyone had to do this before? The cap worked fine and held the pressure fine on the old bottle, I'm just not sure on the new one. TIA for the help.

Had a problem with my cap and then ended up blowing two cracks through the bottle near the nipple. Put in the new bottle with the old cap and has not given me a problem at all. I'd put it on, and keep an eye on it to see. You SHOULD be ok if it keeps tight.

BTW, how's the buildup going with your beast?

cykaaro said:
Had a problem with my cap and then ended up blowing two cracks through the bottle near the nipple. Put in the new bottle with the old cap and has not given me a problem at all. I'd put it on, and keep an eye on it to see. You SHOULD be ok if it keeps tight.

BTW, how's the buildup going with your beast?

Thanks for the reply Padraic I've had it on for the last day now and have had no problem. The Heep iss coming along pretty well just replaced all the rubber under the hood, that was a fun task. Thanks again.

No problem.

Good to hear things are going good. Going to a friends tomorrow to do some work on mine. Should be picking up the metal for my rocker panel replacements, so hopefully can get those in. We shall see. Other that than, have the back panels to switch out, seals around the doors to do,and the inner window seals to do as well. Nothing too complicated. Just taking the time to do it is all. Hopefully will get my coil spacers end of the month or so to bring the front upto match the back. Slowly but surely!

cykaaro said:
No problem.

Good to hear things are going good. Going to a friends tomorrow to do some work on mine. Should be picking up the metal for my rocker panel replacements, so hopefully can get those in. We shall see. Other that than, have the back panels to switch out, seals around the doors to do,and the inner window seals to do as well. Nothing too complicated. Just taking the time to do it is all. Hopefully will get my coil spacers end of the month or so to bring the front upto match the back. Slowly but surely!

Glad to hear man, good luck with those rockers. Herculine em after you're done.

go to the local U-pull-it and look for a mid-90's chrysler product....they have a much sturdier coolant bottle with a REAL radiator cap on it, AND an over-flow hose. They are in the same location as the one you have on the jeep now, just a different shape.
Piece of cake to replace your entire bottle...
remove bottle, remove two bolts that hold mounting bracket, drill two holes in body ledge to hold new bottle, hook up hoses....voila !! Almost a complete conversion to an open system...

Back