• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Really dumb Tie rod question

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
Moog 1312 (ZJ Tie rod end from drag link to LS)

I replaced the block off plug with a zerk on the end of the TRE, but the end has a hole drilled into the side of it that is not threaded. When I try to lube it, grease comes out. I'm thinking that there should be something there to allow the grease to move into the joint.

Should I just tap the block off plug in?

Thanks,

John

DSCF1840.jpg

there is both blue and red grease present (red is mine)

Most (I think) tie rod ends have the dust boot loose around the perimeter, and the old grease just squeezes out from under the boot. Take a close look at the one you show in the photo, and you'll see that the boot extends a bit farther "down" around the body of the TRE than normal, and is securely clamped to the body with a metal retaining ring. Without a pressure relief port, pumping new grease in would blow out the dust boot almost instantly.

I suggest that you leave the port open to function as intended.

GI-John said:
DSCF1840.jpg

there is both blue and red grease present (red is mine)
That zerk that's already in it, will get knocked off by the stabilizer bolt or the swaybar bracket the first time you turn with it up against a rock or whatnot.

Put the plug back where you got it and put the grease fitting in the side hole.They put that there to make it easer to get a grease gun on it.

I stand (or sit, actually) corrected. That side hole does appear to be threaded for the zerk.

Back