• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Elcetric problem

itadekimasu

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 XJ Jeep Cherokee with horrible electric problems. Now I LOVE JEEPS I LOVE them I have 3. Anyway my instrument gauges, A/C back light, Blower motor, Stereo, and rear tail lights all went out around the same time. Well the gauges went on and off on many occasions, so I kept changing the fuses and it work and then blow a fuse. Same with the rear tail lights. The last time they went out they blew so bad that they melted to the fuse box. I tried to remove them but I cannot get all of the pieces out. So now I'am at a dilema. I know that the wires are grounding out somewhere. But should I try to remove the fuse box and put in another one. Or just go around and check each and every wire connected to the individual components and try to find the problems that way.

Do you have a 5-speed and leaking clutch MC by chance? For years I thought my fuses were blowing and melting as a result of some massive electrical disturbance. Finally realized it was brake fluid dissolving the fuses even though the fuse block itself has survived about fifteen years of periodic drenching since the first MC went south. Without a proper cleaning the fuses will continue to disintegrate long after the MC is replaced.

Back