• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another AW4 Question?

FRENCHEEY

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ with 250K on it. 4.0 w/aw4. My question is that when i start it in the morning and take off it doesn't want to shift into 2nd until I let off the gas about 3000 RPM. After about 5 minutes or so after it warms up a little it shifts fine. I replaced all three solenoids in it and still the same. Also if I let it warm up in the A.M. before I take off it shifts fine! Any Ideas??? Thanks----Frencheey

The throttle position sensor would be suspect. It's on the throttle body and sends a variable voltage signal to the transmission control unit based on throttle position to control shift points. If it's a little gunked up, it could be sending the wrong signal and messing with the shift points until things get warmed up a little.

HEY THANNS---I had a friend of mine (a Mechanic) check out the TPS and he adjusted it. It was a little bit out of adjustment. But it checked out fine. Maybe because it was warm. I think I'll check the readings when it's cold. Thanks for the input!!!

Back