• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Am I screwed with t-case

Roads

NAXJA Forum User
Just found out that I have the 242 selec-trac t-case on my '93 xj sport. I had big plans for this xj. Am I now screwed or is it not that bad? I don't know what the differences are between the 241 and 242 but I know noeone really wants the 242 why?

The other one is a 231, I have read that the 231 is only slightly stronger. The only real difference is that the 242 has the ability to drive on dry pavement in 4x4.

The main reason the 231 is more popular is because of the aftermarket support, mainly for sye's.

katarn

242's aren't all that bad. I seen guys on here who have wheeled them pretty hard with no issues. What stinks with the 242 the most , IMHO, is the lack of aftermarket support. All kinds of 231 stuff out there, not many options when it comes to a 242.
It is believed the 231 is a little beefier, over teh 242. Unless you plan on Rock crawling competions, I think you'll be fine.
242's have full time 4WD. You can put it in FT4WD and drive it forever like that, no worries. It allows differentation between the front axle and the rear.

HTH

Last edited:
ClassicXJ said:
Actually you can get SYE's for the 242 and a 4:1 low range kit.

Really? Where?

Show me the way....:wave:

After doing some research I have found that I am actually happy I have the 242 over the 231. The only down falls I see are aftermarket upgrades being less available and more expensive. And the 242 is supposedly not as strong as the 231 which I think would not be noticible unless you have 37's and are in top truck challenge when you should have an atlas anyway.

Roads said:
After doing some research I have found that I am actually happy I have the 242 over the 231. The only down falls I see are aftermarket upgrades being less available and more expensive. And the 242 is supposedly not as strong as the 231 which I think would not be noticible unless you have 37's and are in top truck challenge when you should have an atlas anyway.

I had always heard that there was a little more strength to the 242 case...

At any rate, I have two good friends on Dana 60s with 37s...and TeraLow 242s. They've competed in crawling events and have wheeled the most difficult terrain in the country with no issues whatsoever.

IMHO a 242 t-case is a great excuse to get air lockers. ;)

just something i found out when i asked about it.i also have a 242 and i was told that it already has the same strength shaft as the 231 hd sye just longer that is why a hack n tap is the most common offered upgrade. my .02

i hate it when my t-case screws me...

i now carry KY jelly in my back pocket for thoes suprise evenings...

I had a 242 in my XJ. They are not a bad t-case; I really liked the full time 4 WD option. They are not quite as strong as a 231 and aftermarket parts are harder to find/more expensive. When I grenaded mine I put a 231 in. Not because I dislike the 242, it’s just a lot easier/cheaper to find a 231. My 242 was a pain to get back into 2 WD and the dash lights never did work right. The 231 shifts into and out of all positions much easier and it has a little bit better 4 lo. If your 242 is operating fine I’d keep it, it’s not worth the effort to swap it over. However, if you need to do major work on the 242 I’d go ahead and put a 231 back in. I picked up my 231 (someone rebuilt it and put in a new chain) for $50. The front yoke had to be swapped out, but that was $70 for a brand new one and 10 minutes worth of work. That price was not a fluke, I seen several in my area going for $50 - $100 depending on condition and exactly what it came out of. The 242 was much more expensive; $200 for a core (basically a good case/shafts/gears, need new chain) and $400 for a rebuilt one. If you want to do the swap a 231 D (or HD) out of a Dakota is the most desirable t-case. It already has the heavy-duty chain/gear and a rear fixed yoke. PM me and I’ll send you my notes to make it go smoothly. Its not that bad, you can do it in a day if you have all of the parts and someone helping.

littlebluexj said:
just something i found out when i asked about it.i also have a 242 and i was told that it already has the same strength shaft as the 231 hd sye just longer that is why a hack n tap is the most common offered upgrade. my .02

Not exactly. The tail shaft section of the 242 is exactly the same as a standard 231. The length, spline count (but not the entire shaft) and even the tail shaft housing itself are exactly the same. The hack and tap kits are sold because they are cheap, easy to do and work well. They are nowhere near as strong as the replacement shaft SYE kits, but they are also ½ the price. Unless you are doing competition stuff I doubt you will ever notice the difference.

Wiley Coyote said:
Not exactly. The tail shaft section of the 242 is exactly the same as a standard 231. The length, spline count (but not the entire shaft) and even the tail shaft housing itself are exactly the same. The hack and tap kits are sold because they are cheap.They are nowhere near as strong as the replacement shaft SYE kits.
Top is a HD 231,bottom is stock!
hd%20sye.jpg

NOVAggie said:
so why not just get a shaft from a 231 and tehn get a SYE for a 231 if all the tailsections are teh same??? maybe I missed something
Because the internal side(front half of the case) of the mainshaft is different.

RCP Phx said:
Top is a HD 231,bottom is stock!
hd%20sye.jpg

Your right, a 231 HD shaft is stronger than a standard 231 shaft, hence the reason its call heavy duty. What littlebluexj said was a 242 shaft was stronger than a 231 HD shaft – not true.

Back