• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 9" gurus?

NAXJA Forum User
Would a '77 1/2 ton ford truck (not bronco) be a 31 spline rear or a 28 spline rear? OR could it be either?

It should be a 31 spline, but not 100% All 66-77' Bronco's had 28 spline 9" and the 31 spline were in the full size Ford pickups and 2nd generation Bronco's from 78'+ There could be some 28 spline 9" in that year, but I would say that all trucks would have 31 spline and maybe cars would have the 28 spline. I'd pull the shafts and count them to make sure, just 4 retaining bolts and it's the shaft is out.

Troy

I just got one from a 72 truck. It is 60" wide, big bearings & 28 spline. It is best to pull a shaft & count. JIM.

the f-100's ended up with a mixed variety of shaft spline count

the f-150's generaly are safer to assume that they are 31 spline...

Ok...well my next question is...if it is a 28 spline...what will I need to do to put in 31 spline shafts? I'm guessing just the carrier...???

043500 said:
Ok...well my next question is...if it is a 28 spline...what will I need to do to put in 31 spline shafts? I'm guessing just the carrier...???

well from what i understand you might not even need a new carrier...

the lunchbox lockers are teh same for the 28 and 31 spline units, and you re-use your factory side gears - so you might be able to get some 31 spline side gears from someone who swaped to a detroit and a lunchbox locker...

and of course you will need some new shafts...

043500 said:
You should be able to just change out the side gears. I had a 28 spline Detroit in my early Bronco and when I installed a 31 spline Warn full floater kit in it, I was able to get 31 spline side gears for it. It was a heck of alot cheaper than buying a whole new locker. I'm assuming you could probably do the same with a factory open carrier. You might however, call somebody like Currie Enterprises to verify this.........Hans

Good info everyone...thanks.

Unless by some miracle this thing has close to the gear ratio I want I'll be getting a new 3rd member anyway and then regear the front to match. So I guess I'll be picking them up in the near future.

XJ_ranger said:
well from what i understand you might not even need a new carrier...

the lunchbox lockers are teh same for the 28 and 31 spline units, and you re-use your factory side gears - so you might be able to get some 31 spline side gears from someone who swaped to a detroit and a lunchbox locker...

and of course you will need some new shafts...
Do you really need to change to 31 spline shafts? I know guys running the 28 spline shafts in race cars with 400+HP with no problems. JIM.

sorry to hijack, but would it be cheaper to redo the drum brakes or convert to disc brakes? strictly cost wise. I just got my 9" full width and cant decide which route I should go in the future.

ILLXJ said:
Do you really need to change to 31 spline shafts? I know guys running the 28 spline shafts in race cars with 400+HP with no problems. JIM.

I know this...but those guys may not be slamming the rear end down from several inches in the air with 35" tires under throttle...it's just cheap insurance (and 9" shafts are cheap). I'm not hard on my vehicles but I;ve seen lesser shafts snap under much less harsh circumstances so I don't want to chance it.

As for the brakes...I already have rotors in my junk pile...so a $10 weld on caliper bracket, some calipers and pads and I'm good there too. Plus I much prefer the ease of maintainence (sp??) on discs over drums especially for an offroad vehicle... so even if it cost more, it's worth it in the long run for me.

But you may be right...if you have the drum brakes already...and all you need is to swap in shoes and cylinders and maybe turn the drums it may be cheaper for you to keep the drums.
From what I've read and done in the past: Weld on caliper brackets $10-$15
calipers...Gm loaded $40 +-...GM loaded for parking brake $85 +-
rotors cheap or free from junkyard.

The Blu Yak said:
sorry to hijack, but would it be cheaper to redo the drum brakes or convert to disc brakes? strictly cost wise. I just got my 9" full width and cant decide which route I should go in the future.

it cost me something like 50.00 to re-do my drums including:
machining the drums
new pads
new wheel cylenders
new spings
new hardware

i dont think you can buy rotors for cheaper than 50.00 and i think my e-brake is better than most other setups because drums have a a larger contact area.

YMMV

If you are going to all the trouble of getting a new 3rd member and locker and shafts. Why stop at 31 spline? 35 would be just as easy, correct?

Why stop at 35? Go 40 or go home.

bigsplinemain.jpg

35 or 40 spline shafts would be nice...but I doubt I'll need them with 35's whic is what I intend to run.

And yes...even though the outside of the housing is rusty...does't mean the inside is. You won't really know until you pull it apart.

CRASH said:
Why stop at 35? Go 40 or go home.

bigsplinemain.jpg

35 spline axles will do you just fine, but 40 spline 9" shafts are only $150 or so more due to alloy cost between them and a 35 spline and the military bearings for them. I called Currie and picked their brain about the cost difference. I could have went this route and wish I did, but I'm alot happier with my detroit locker and 40 spline only have a spool option as nothing else is available yet. Hopefully there will be a detroit and ARB option in the future. Just get the 3.25" bearing case Nodular case so you can run 35 or 40 spline shafts and then you can make a change down the road if you want. I found the Nodular Strange "S" case with 3.25 bearings for $200 on ebay brand new.

Troy

Back