• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock susp./cut fender clearance ???'s

derekrichardson

NAXJA Forum User
This is my 3rd. XJ but my budget is ZERO until after the new year (or even AFTER that (Pregnant wife!)

What I have... Stock '93 XJ, I have 31X11.50 Super Swamper LTB's and factory "lace" wheels.

Question... If I remove all four fender flares, cut front fenders (did this on my '87) up about 2", basically tracing above factory edge and cut off the lip and weld the seam on the rear fenders as well as cut off some extra trailing edge of rears, will these fit without much problem? At the most all I can do for now is maybe a front 2" spacer and rear add-a-leaf (Rusty's).

Am I stuck with stock or what?

With an 11.50 tire you better be thinking of going to an 8" wheel. I suppose a stock 7" will work but will rub like a mo fo because of the BS.

a nice trim and fold job can give you all the clearance you should need. A spacer in the front and a shackle or an extra leaf in the rear will give you a couple of inches.

A cheap way to get some lift is to score a set of stock leafs from somebody doing a lift. Take the long leaf with the eyelets and cut the eyelets off and add that to your old spring pack, It will give you some lift and more carrying capacity. With that leaf, you can run an AAL without worrying about killing your springs. Heck JC Whitney used to have a Budget Boost that came with front coils and a rear AAL for around $99. The coils were decent and with the addition of the extra leaf the AAL's will last pretty good. Heck I ran it for a year or so back when 31's were considered big tires.

It'd rub the LCA's right? That's where my other one rubbed but I had Rustys LCA's which were round tube and it just rubbed the paint off.

I cannot tell you how psyched I am to be back in the XJ world. After my last Cherokee fell apart, I bought a '94 Bronco for $850.00. Now I have two Cherokees (a '93 LTD and a '96 Country) AND a Bronco. Maybe the wife will "let" me get a 3" kit when I ditch the Ford.

I'm back! And now I remember why I bought an XJ in the first place. So much to do, so little time.

Thanks all.

Back