• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing fluid on an 8.25

Aggie05

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up an 8.25 from a 97 w/ the factory limited slip. I was going to drain and refill it and prolly grind a little off the bottom lip before I installed it. My question is though what type of fluid do I need to put in and do I need to add an additive because of the factory limited slip.
Kyle

Type of fluid you need to use is Differential Gear Oil..hehehehe But yeah, you need to add that LS additive along with it.

Mike

BASTID.... Get you butt back from Tennessee so you can come to Terry's and help me change the axle and install the lift htis weekend. ;)

What weight in Diff. Oil and LS additive? Best place to get it?

Do not just use lube that says is for limited slip diffs. You need to use a good lube, i use Mobile 1, and preferably dealership friction modifier, 4 oz. When i installed the Trac-Lok in the 8.25 in my '98, for many miles that thing would really get hot on the winding roads in Va. Thought the extra margin of heat tolerance of the synthetic might be valuable.

Man, I just got to Tennessee and im already ready to get back home. I can think of a hundred things id rather do at home and slap a couple lifts on is on the top of that list.

Mike

I just drained my 8.25 and fill'd er' up with Amsoil synthetic gear lube. Took 2 full quarts. I love the smell of old diff oil in the morning! Trac lock didn't change a bit, still works like new. I'm a happy jeeper now.

I believe the friction modifier is what makes the difference as to how long it lasts... I heard people having to rebuild it at 100K and those who have it at nearly 200K and it still works..... Mine has 120K and seems to work fine (grrr you made me come out and say it... you know what will happen next!) at 120K but I religously change the oil with the friction modifier in it.

Kejtar

Back