• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BCA 513158 hub/bearing doesn't fit '99 XJ?!

ejholmgren

NAXJA Forum User
My '99 Cherokee was making the most horrible humming noise @ about 40 mph on up, so I decided to check the wheel bearings/u-joint on the front driver's side. U-joint wasn't too bad yet, but I replaced it anyway. The wheel bearing however was total crap.

I was under the impression that the '99+ had cast rotors @ 3 and 3/16" height (which mine measure out to) ... so I ordered the BCA # 513158 front wheel hub assembly for the full cast rotors off rockauto.com.

Went to put it on earlier tonight and the rotor rubs on the dust shield like it's not spaced far enough out. Tried it without the shield just for kicks and it rubs on the steering knuckle itself. Side by side, the original hub is approx. 1/8" farther out on the face where the studs are than the new one.

The number 513158 is stamped on the face, so I know they didn't ship me the wrong part. Does anybody have an idea as to what's going on here?

What's the production date of your XJ? I don't remember for certain, but I believe it was in mid-year 1999 that DaimlerChrysler changed back from composite rotors to cast rotors. The two types use different hubs.

Back a few months ago I posted a summary of the several different hub/rotor/bearing/caliper combinations by model year. Try a search, but I don't know how far back to send you. At least 3 months, I think, and maybe closer to 6 months.

{EDIT}Never mind -- I found the info again. Please note: It is copyrighted, and I am NOT granting permission to reproduce.
In general, the parts to be concerned with in keeping the front brakes compatible are the steering knuckles, the hub/bearing assemblies, the rotors, and the calipers. (There is a more complete enumeration of the interrelationship of these parts in Chapter 6, Axles.)

· Only two steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 through 1989, and 1990 through 2001. Left and right side knuckles are different part numbers within each group.

· Three different hub/bearing units were used. The hub/bearing units are the same for both sides of the vehicle. The different years for hub/bearing assemblies were: 1984 through 1989; 1990 through mid-1999 (composite rotors); and late-1999 through 2001 (cast rotors).

· Three rotor types were used: 1984 through 1989; 1990 through mid-1999 (composite); and late-1999 through 2001 (cast).

· Only two caliper types were used: 1984 through 1989, and 1990 through 2001. Left and right side calipers are different part numbers within each group.

Last edited:
Back