• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BrettM you know your stuff. help

stupidfast

NAXJA Forum User
im going to soa my mj. its the 7ft box long bed. i think one time on pirate you said something about not having to mod any driveline when soaing an mj longbox. and what was the deal with the yj yoke? ofcourse if anyone else knows, go ahead and shout it out. thats why i didnt just pm him.

YJ yoke has more clearance, and is about 5/8" longer

the much longer driveline on the MJ makes your angles much nicer to work with than the angles of an XJ and oftentimes you dont need to do anything...

Mine is SOA long bed MJ, wih 4" YJ leaf springs, double shackles, and only has a 1" t-case drop on it. No vibes, does finr with stock length d-shaft, with wagoneer dana-44.

I've had up to 8 inches of lift without an SYE, with a shortbed MJ, and zero vibes. I used a YJ yoke for the higher angle allowed. I did not need to lengthen my driveshaft because I also swapped an axle with a longer pinion, if you keep the same axle you may need to lengthen the driveshaft about an inch, but there's a good chance you won't even need that. Make sure to get the angles right, and I always recommend new u-joints when changing angles on them, it's only $25 anyway.

I SOAd my 7 ft MJ without touching any driveline. I have no bad vibes caused by the change (my vibes are from dropping the d-shaft at 60 and coasting to the first place to pull over). I do have the crossmember dropped 1/2 inch, but that is due to the fact I didn't want to pay $250 for a stock Comanche tranny mount, so I just rigged in a Cherokee one.

xjcrawlr said:
WHAT! Whats the difference? Are you refering to the crossmember, or to the tranny mount its self?

For just the tranny mount. The Comanche uses a "Sandwich" style tranny mount. It is about the same size as a sandwich, it has two metal plates and a piece of rubber in between. The only place I could find one was the stealership for the $250. When the parts guy told me that i freaked and asked him if it came gold-plated.

So i went to CAP and bought a 4 cyl. tranny mount and it bolted right in, but as you cherokee guys know the mount is about 3 1/2-4" tall, while the Comanche one is only about an inch thick. I dropped the crossmember with longer bolts and 1/2" spacers. My T-case is stuffed up into the tunnel a little, but it doesn't hit unless I dump the clutch hard.(which I RARELY do)

So far it has held up to my lead foot without any problems, but if anyone knows where i can find the original style tranny mount for a reasonable price I will switch back over so I regain my clearance under the crossmember.

xjcrawlr said:
WHAT! Whats the difference? Are you refering to the crossmember, or to the tranny mount its self?

The tranny mounts used on the (87-89ish I-6 XJs and MJs) Peugot 5 speed are unique to that tranny... and they are expensive.

I'm pretty sure the crossmembers are the same.

LazarusMJ said:
For just the tranny mount. The Comanche uses a "Sandwich" style tranny mount. It is about the same size as a sandwich, it has two metal plates and a piece of rubber in between. The only place I could find one was the stealership for the $250. When the parts guy told me that i freaked and asked him if it came gold-plated.

So i went to CAP and bought a 4 cyl. tranny mount and it bolted right in, but as you cherokee guys know the mount is about 3 1/2-4" tall, while the Comanche one is only about an inch thick. I dropped the crossmember with longer bolts and 1/2" spacers. My T-case is stuffed up into the tunnel a little, but it doesn't hit unless I dump the clutch hard.(which I RARELY do)

So far it has held up to my lead foot without any problems, but if anyone knows where i can find the original style tranny mount for a reasonable price I will switch back over so I regain my clearance under the crossmember.

did the exact same thing with mine(87 5 spd), used to rattle constantly under breaking before the trans drop.

spaghettixj said:
Brett, if you have time to post here, why you don't have time to reply my emails?
Diego from Italy.
the last email i got from you was Oct 11, the last I sent to you was Oct 28... try again, and use both [email protected] and [email protected] just in case.

xjaddiction said:
Mine is SOA long bed MJ, wih 4" YJ leaf springs, double shackles, and only has a 1" t-case drop on it. No vibes, does finr with stock length d-shaft, with wagoneer dana-44.

So YJ leaf springs will fit an MJ? If I got YJ lift springs in the 4"lift variety and kept my MJ spring under I would have a 4" rear lift?

Sorry about that,

I have Rusty's 4.5 (?, there was a lift on it when I bought it, so I'm not sure what leaves are in the rear) inch springs over the axle, and a double shackle set-up that consists of a stock MJ and a stock XJ shackle per side. I think the total lift is about 8"es, and with trimmed fenders there is enough room for 39's, I'm running 38's right now. There is a welded piece of square stock in between the shackles to keep them partially open. I think the MJ springs are longer than the YJ.

I have a leaf spring conversion set-up in the front that uses the 4" YJ leaf springs

209640046205_0_ALB.jpg

ok so worse comes to worse, ill just lengthen the driveshaft. somone tell me how this double shackle thing works. do you mean a shackle at each eye of the spring?? wouldnt that shift around like crazy? and can i splice the directional light wires to the light on tj flairs so i can have both blinking?

I'll have to get some pics of the double shackle. Works like a revolver, except the shackle doesn't twist. Since the MJ is so light in the rear, this gave me the added flex that I wanted. The shackles don't shift around at all. They are bolted together. then a piece of 1" square stock is welded to the lower one to keep them from completely colapsing on themselves.

The TJ flare lights, you can splice into the turn signal lights up front. I just spliced them into the parking lights, so mine do not flash on the MJ. I did have them spliced into the turn signals on my XJ, and they alternated.

xjaddiction said:
I'll have to get some pics of the double shackle. Works like a revolver, except the shackle doesn't twist. Since the MJ is so light in the rear, this gave me the added flex that I wanted. The shackles don't shift around at all. They are bolted together. then a piece of 1" square stock is welded to the lower one to keep them from completely colapsing on themselves.

That sounds like a good idea.

Back