• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Safe way to clean tires(searched)

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys,
I searched, but couldn't find any info... My passenger side tires have a bunch of curb/road rash (parallel parking). I was wondering if there is any safe cleaner/product/method of cleaning tires that won't mess up the rubber or the rims(steel)?

I use Castrol Super Clean and a stiff brush on mine, buy it by the gallon and mix it with water. Lots of other things to do with it too. I dont like the stuff that turns tires shiny
CASTROL-SUPERCLEAN-ACCUVISIONsuperkleendirect_1829_1433327.gif

SuperClean will not hurt the Aluminum if you wash it off within a few minutes. Most rims have a clear coat anyway. It is the most fantastic degreaser and tire cleaner you will ever come across.

Thanks for all of the replies :) I think I'll look for the purple stuff the next time I'm out. I'll just have to be careful I guess....I've read a couple other places that it will ruin paint & remove stuff you don't want to remove if you don't pay attention.

I use - and have used for years - Eagle One Wheel cleaner... Cleans the wheels and the tires really well... Used to come in an orange bottle, but the last one I bought was in a silver/gray bottle.

It's soo easy - even my wife can do it....lol....
(Don't tell her I said that!)

old_man said:
SuperClean will not hurt the Aluminum if you wash it off within a few minutes. Most rims have a clear coat anyway. It is the most fantastic degreaser and tire cleaner you will ever come across.

x2. For cleaning "sensitive areas" I cut it 50/50 with water. To clean wheels/tires just spray it on (half strength is fine), let it do its thing for a minute or so, scrub off (very little effort required), and rinse. It does a great job of cleaning off brake dust or anything else.

Every time I rotate tires I remove them, clean them this way (front and back) and then remount them. It takes a little extra effort, but it helps keep the dust on the back from creeping around and chewing off the finish over the years.

I really like Simple Green. I used to use Bleach White, but that crap all but bends over the finish on your wheels.

I have always used always used the powdered Comet and a hard bristled brush. It does a great job. But Bleach White is great if you are feeling lazy, and if you rinse it off quickly, it shouldnt hurt your wheels.

Curb rash is abrasion -- the concrete scrapes away some of the rubber. You're not going to correct that with any cleaners.

At the post office yesterday I parked across from a Wrangler that had whitewalls. As I walked closer I saw that the owner had rubbed so many curbs that the black outer layer was gone, and the white inner layer that shows through at the raised letters was exposed all the way around. People who can't drive any better than that shouldn't drive at all.

Eagle said:
Curb rash is abrasion -- the concrete scrapes away some of the rubber. You're not going to correct that with any cleaners.

It's not to the point that rubber was actually rubbed/sanded away. I'm pretty sure it's just marked since I've inspected it closely and it doesn't seem like the surface was affected in that sort of way.

I can't say I agree with your opinion on people who get road rash on their sidewalls and not driving.... some people have no choice but to park on the street (when their damn job doesn't provide parking). So yeah, I have to get tight to the curb or else some idiot will side swipe me, or knock off a mirror.

bleachy white works pretty good, works good even if you don't have the raised white letters. scrub good with a brush. keep it off the rims. works best if the tire is dry when you start, but i think it tells you to get them wet first.

I have always wondered if the bleach white hurts the wheels. It says to avoid aluminum and mag on the label. I have used it for years, excellent on tires, my wheels are a little rough looking now, though.

Back