• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help!late model transfer drop kit

jeepinxj99

NAXJA Forum User
putting in my transfer case drop kit, how do you get the stud that goes down out? directions say to use two nuts but we're confused. its a 99 and this is only in late model xj's. DO you even have to get that stud out?help please!

jeepinxj99 said:
putting in my transfer case drop kit, how do you get the stud that goes down out? directions say to use two nuts but we're confused. its a 99 and this is only in late model xj's. DO you even have to get that stud out?help please!
You put one nut on, and then another, than you tighten them against each other and you unbolt the stud by turning one of the nuts (the upper one, that is closer to the body).
You can also weld a nut to it.
You can use a stud remover.
You can see if the stud has a reverse torx head that you can use a reverse torx on.
Finally, look here for more info.

Remi
P.S. You do need to remove it so that you can get a spacer bolted to the frame.

so explain the nut thing, we got two nuts tight against eachother and tried backing the stud out but its not working...

it is threaded in there so you wouldnt be able to punch it through correct

jeepinxj99 said:
so explain the nut thing, we got two nuts tight against eachother and tried backing the stud out but its not working...
thread one nut halfway up, then trhead another nut tight against it, then take two wrenches and tighten the two nuts against each other so that they lock, then when you turn the upper nut later it should not try to unthread itself, but instead it should turn the stud and thread that out.
look here for more info as that was covered many times already

two easiest ways are either putting a nut on it and welding or just busting out a monkey wrench and grab ahold of it, the latter should work fine being as it's a 99 and the stud should come out relatively easy. just get it out and buy grade 8 bolts for everything.

well, ran into a big problem. we got the stud out, only there arent any threads left for the new bolt to screw into....is my only option to have someone weld it?

jeepinxj99 said:
well, ran into a big problem. we got the stud out, only there arent any threads left for the new bolt to screw into....is my only option to have someone weld it?
Did you rip it out or something? If you unthreaded the stud out then there are threads there.

that was probably the worst way ever to do it. You will either have to weld or tap it. but i can't remember if there is a nut in the frame or what so i'll let Kejtar jump in with his opinion

jeepinxj99 said:
yeah ill admit, it was the worst way to do it, im guessing it can be welded although the frame has that texture to it
ummm, so you're asking a question, looking for a best way to do it and then you take a hammer to it? :confused:

Did you rip out both of the studs? If so don't even think about driving on two bolts! If you ripped out only one.... you might drive it to a shop to get it welded, but I'd still recommend having someone come out and fix it for you as there is a reason that there are 4 bolts.

You could maybe get away without welding by pulling the seat out, pulling the plastic trim on the floor out and pulling the carpet sideways to get to the rubber plug that's in teh area. Then as you push a bolt up from the bottom you can drop a washer on it and a nut and tighten from underneath while you hold the nut from the top (not sure how well this would work since I don't know how big of a hole you got).

Other option would be to weld a nut in and for that I'd recommend getting someone that knows what they're doing with a welder. Oh... textured frame rail? Take a wire wheel and a flap disk to it to clean it up (just please follow instructions and WEAR safety glasses!)

yeah i know we screwed up, and trust me i will be alot more careful from now on. so if i go and have it welded, will that create problems when i have a sye installed? such as if they need to drop the crossmember

jeepinxj99 said:
yeah i know we screwed up, and trust me i will be alot more careful from now on. so if i go and have it welded, will that create problems when i have a sye installed? such as if they need to drop the crossmember
OK, you seem not to be reading the posts thoroughly :eek: I said that you want to weld a nut into the framerail and from what you said it sounds like you want to weld something permanent that would stop your crossmember from being removeable. This would end up giving you what you had before: something in the framerail into which you'd thread bolts in!

oh alright i got ya, sorry im just kinda pissed off this happened. im just going to forget about the transfer case drop and try and get the sye. hey man thanks for your help i really appreciate it. oh and an off road shop would charge what around 40? im guessing i will have to have this done to all 4 to be level

u just need the 2 from the studs done unless you messed up the bolts too. no idea what they will charge but it won't be much to just weld a nut in there if you get it ready

jeepinxj99 said:
alright well i just messed up one stud out of 4. im going to take it down and have this done asap tomorrow...
If they are good they will weld the nut into the frame rail so it would be flush.
How much will they charge? no clue: depends on the shop.
You need to start hanging out with local jeepers as there is bound to be someone in the area that would do a good job for a six pack :D (just don't give the beer till after the welding is finished ;) )

Back