• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear latch removal

alpinetiburon04

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search for this but couldn't pull up anything. I'm sure this is easier than I think, but...

I'm trying to pull the trunk carpet out of my 1991 XJ and I can't get the rear interior trim out because it's stuck under the latch that holds the rear hatch closed. Is tehre a trick to this? Do I have to remove the latch or something? Cause I can't even figure out how to do that. Thanks all.

Use a torx 40? to remove the plate for the latch and then remove the screws holding the trim.
You will probably have to remove the side panels as well as the carpet goes under those.

alpinetiburon04 said:
....couldn't pull up anything. ...

Pull harder. :D

Really! That's the secret.

The strike pin plate does not hold the carpet down--the plastic trim piece does. The strike pin plate does hold the trim piece, but once you remove all the screws the carpet can be pulled--even with the strike plate holding the trim piece to the body.

Back