• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REGEARING w/ 31" RUBICON RIM TIRE SETUP??

joey99jb

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on purchasing a set of rubicon tires and wheels from a friend. I am putting a 3" Rusty's lift on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 5-speed manual. I was wondering if I would need to regear with this combination or if I am fine with the stock gearing setup. (I tried searching for someone witha similar setup but couldn't find)

Thanks guys

I run 31s with 3.55 and it's okay. I get 10 mpg in town, 16 on the hwy.

I'm looking to go 4.56-4.88 as soon as I can.

4.88s w/ 33s is pretty damn low on the highway as it is. I couldn't imagine with 31s.

considering that that combo on the Rubi comes with 4.10's from the factory you will be slightly under geared but you should be fine. If you gonna regear I would suggest going to 4.56 That way if you go to a bigger tire you already have the gearing. However if you gonna stay at that size I would consider 4.10's.

31's and 3.07 gears will drive like a toad but will "work" if thats what you want to call it. IMO like was said before if you are going to stay with 31's and a 3" lift go with 4.10's. But I have to tell ya we've all said that and most of us have gone bigger as our wheel'n experience grew. You should know that with those rims the tires will rub the lower control arms when fully locked in a turn. Another IMO I'd get some rims with at most a 4.5" bs.

jimbar said:
31's and 3.07 gears will drive like a toad but will "work" if thats what you want to call it. IMO like was said before if you are going to stay with 31's and a 3" lift go with 4.10's. But I have to tell ya we've all said that and most of us have gone bigger as our wheel'n experience grew. You should know that with those rims the tires will rub the lower control arms when fully locked in a turn. Another IMO I'd get some rims with at most a 4.5" bs.
toad is the word.. yesh it will "work"

if you want a cheep regear go to the junkyard pull 3.55's from an auto. and that is fine for 31in tires and the 15...
best ratio is 4.10
but yes it will "work"

basalt51 said:
4.88s w/ 33s is pretty damn low on the highway as it is. I couldn't imagine with 31s.
I had it for a few weeks and I loved it. Now granted the highway kind of sucked (my top speed was about 65mph @ 3K rpm's) but the trail performance ROCKED.

Thanks guys that was pretty helpful. I think I am gonna go with the 4.10 setup. Now I just have to figure out how to do that....................help. While i think of a solution to my problem above I have another question. I hate to hijack my own thread but I am trying to buy all these parts so I can get this thing on the road. Will I need to consider upgrading my brake setup? With larger tires I would imagine that the brakes may fail??? Anyone had this problem?

joey99jb said:
Thanks guys that was pretty helpful. I think I am gonna go with the 4.10 setup. Now I just have to figure out how to do that....................help. While i think of a solution to my problem above I have another question. I hate to hijack my own thread but I am trying to buy all these parts so I can get this thing on the road. Will I need to consider upgrading my brake setup? With larger tires I would imagine that the brakes may fail??? Anyone had this problem?

You'll be fine. Alot of XJers have 35s on stock brakes. It will take more effort to stop, but you will get used to it and be able to compensate for it without thinking much.

dakotus said:
how bad really is 3.55 and 31's? I'm getting 31's tomorrow, and would like to know.

sorry for the hijack joey, hoping for one response

It's not bad at all, I consistantly get 16mpg around town and 18-20 on the highway. On the trail it could be bit deeper, but it did fine when I went through Tellico. Hope this helps.

dakotus said:
how bad really is 3.55 and 31's? I'm getting 31's tomorrow, and would like to know.

sorry for the hijack joey, hoping for one response
it depends on the tranny
if you have an auto and 3.55's you will see a drop in gas mileage and in accel.
ifyou have a 5speed with 3.55's you will be fine about like stock (3.06 + stock tires)

I am hoping so, I think I will see how the commute to work will be (only 10 miles away) but I will definitely be looking into 4.10 gears a bit later on. Thanks guys for all the replies it helps to sort alot of things out.

jrsxj98 said:
considering that that combo on the Rubi comes with 4.10's from the factory you will be slightly under geared but you should be fine. If you gonna regear I would suggest going to 4.56 That way if you go to a bigger tire you already have the gearing. However if you gonna stay at that size I would consider 4.10's.

jr,

Just bought a 2004 Jeep Unlimited with a 5.5" lift and 35" mud terrain T/As. I haven't yet lifted the rear end to see what gear ratio is in it. It has DynaTrac rear end with a Detroit Locker but I don't know if it was regeared from the stock 4.11 (or 4.10).

I do know this, when I'm going 55 mph, I'm only tach'n about 1750 in overdrive.

What's the optimal gear ration if you are running 35" tired on 16" rims.

Thanks

softwiz said:
It has DynaTrac rear end with a Detroit Locker but I don't know if it was regeared from the stock 4.11 (or 4.10).

There is nothing stock about a Dynatrac rear end.

if you were closer i would sell you a set of 30 35 dana's that are geared at 4.10's out of my 85 cherokee. 300 bucks and they are your's if you're interested.

Dirk Pitt said:
There is nothing stock about a Dynatrac rear end.

Elaborate... I guess I don't know what I got ;) Like I said, I just bought it from the local Jeep dealer all decked out with mods.

I'll have to lift it to see what ratio I have this weekend.

softwiz said:
Elaborate... I guess I don't know what I got ;) Like I said, I just bought it from the local Jeep dealer all decked out with mods.

I'll have to lift it to see what ratio I have this weekend.

Does it look anything like what you see HERE?

Back