• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pressure Regulator

RyleyF

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having a problem with my 89 Renix. My fuel pressure isn't building up like it should, leading to VERY long startup times. I'm thinking its the pressure regulator at the beginning of the fuel rail since well, it's been tapped by a hammer more than few times to fix a certain leak and the drop in fuel pressure comes very quickly.

If I turn the key on, let the fuel pump prime, then key off, then on, then off and on back again, the fuel pump will prime once again, showing to me that I'm losing pressure very quickly. Does the fuel reg sound like the culprit?
Thanks

RyleyF said:
I'm having a problem with my 89 Renix. My fuel pressure isn't building up like it should, leading to VERY long startup times. I'm thinking its the pressure regulator at the beginning of the fuel rail since well, it's been tapped by a hammer more than few times to fix a certain leak and the drop in fuel pressure comes very quickly.

If I turn the key on, let the fuel pump prime, then key off, then on, then off and on back again, the fuel pump will prime once again, showing to me that I'm losing pressure very quickly. Does the fuel reg sound like the culprit?
Thanks
Sounds more like the check valve in the fuel pump.

the pump always runs when you turn the key for 2-3 seconds, I don't belive that the Renix ECU monitors the fuel pressure, so it will run the pump at key on for a few seconds always. Then it turns the pump back on as soon as it gets a tach signal that the motor is turning over.

What exactly does the check valve do? Today I was also having a problem with it sounding like it was running on 5 cylinders. I had to restart the engine and then it went away, but it was being quite a bitch to start at this particular moment.

the check valve is supposed to keep fuel from draining from the motor back into the tank, and keep the fuel rail pressurized. I don't think a bad check valve would affect the running of an engine.

I unplugged and then plugged the CPS back in... it seems to have made a bit of a difference, however its not perfect.

Okay fellas, Still have the problem, although starting seems to be a bit easier after I put an assload of valvoline Fuel System cleaner in the tank. What happens is when going up a big hill at a slow speed (25-30 mph) my engine will bog down like it's not getting any fuel. If I give it more throttle it'll just bog down more and then maybe pick back up and let me accelerate.

Any ideas?

RyleyF said:
Okay fellas, Still have the problem, although starting seems to be a bit easier after I put an assload of valvoline Fuel System cleaner in the tank. What happens is when going up a big hill at a slow speed (25-30 mph) my engine will bog down like it's not getting any fuel. If I give it more throttle it'll just bog down more and then maybe pick back up and let me accelerate.

Any ideas?
What your describing now sounds more like weak spark or bad plugs and not like a fuel problem.

Really... the plugs, wires, cap and rotor are all new and gapped appropriately. Although after putting in the injector cleaner, I can let the fuel pump prime, and turn the key on, off, and back on again and the pump won't prime again like it used to.

Edit: Nevermind, still primes every turn of the key. Same ol' shit again.

Last edited:
Back