• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARGHHH,won't start

braeden

NAXJA Forum User
I drove over to a buddy's house last night, on the way there the jeep started just fine, no issues at all. Go to leave later, turn key, nothing happens. Battery guage looked good, headlights were bright. I ended up walking home. Today, I tried jumping it, just in case. THen I cleaned my NSS, for the second time in 6 months. I switched the starter fuse with something else and still nothing. I'm out of ideas.

96 4.0 AW4 95Kmiles

Can you hear the fuel pump?
Have you taken a spark plug out to see if it's covered in fuel?
Have you checked the distributor cap and rotor?
Have a friend turn it over and check for spark.
If you've got fuel and no spark 'd check the connections on all of the sensors, as the computer isn't firing plugs.
Make sure you check the CPS, I think it's the number one cause of a no start on the forums.

I assume the engine doesn't turn over since you tried cleaning the NSS. My 94 did the same thing to me a while back. I went through the same steps to no avail. It would start sometimes and then sometimes not even roll over. I wound up running a spring loaded momentary switch from battery through switch to starter. Turn on the key, hit the switch and it starts every time. Mines not a daily driver so I wan't way concerned with cosmetics etc.

Turn on the key and then run a wire, 10 gauge, from the battery to the starter solenoid. See if it starts or turns over. Hope this helps.

azdesertrhino said:
Turn on the key and then run a wire, 10 gauge, from the battery to the starter solenoid. See if it starts or turns over. Hope this helps.
Thats good, but to be better, take the green wire and jump it straight to the positive bat terminal. Thats what i did when my starter died..

Cheers, J

nightwolf0829 said:
Thats good, but to be better, take the green wire and jump it straight to the positive bat terminal. Thats what i did when my starter died..

Cheers, J

Green wire? And if your starter died, what was the outcome? Maybe I missed something here! :wierd:

Yeah, its definately not the NSS. I will check the starter connections this afternoon. The green wire you speak of, is this the one on the front of the fuse block? I thihnk I may have to join AAA today to get a tow. Bummer, really bad timing to have to drop loot on my car.

Bumpity.

Please explain this green wire jump technique, or any other possibilities. This blows. My poor truck sitting in some parking lot, I bet it misses home.

I don't know if this will help but this is what I did to mine.

Turn on the key and then run a wire, 10 gauge, from the positive terminal of the battery to the starter solenoid. See if it starts or turns over. If it starts pull the wire away from the solenoid and drive it home. Hope this helps.

Back