• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Pinion tightness

ive just bought a 44 with 4:88 gears already in it and when i was putting my detroit into it, ( i left the pinion gear untouched) and when i spin the pinion gear freely it seems liek there is resistence..i oiled it up and there sitll was resistance..isnt the pinion gear suppose to be pretty easy to spin?

with an inch pound torque wrench you can check the preload of the pinion bearings. with used bearings should see about 8~10 inlbs of resistance... It is quite possible that the pinion is too tight to begin with...

thanks....any other recomendations cause i want to be able to go into my auto shop tomorrow with all the possibilities it could be casue i would liek to be doen with it by tomorrrow afternoon and be abelt o throw the axle under my jeep so i can dirve it..been to long since ive driven my jeep(getting home sick)

just make sure you get proper back lash and a good patern on the gears before you button them up.

i'm getting confused but either way as long as all specs are met you should be fine. to check pinion preload you remove the carier and check just the pinion's resistance. the only other thing that could be wrong is bearings but they usually give you slop or tight/loose spots if bad.

ccflexj said:
i did set it all up ant the back lash wqas 10,000ths and drive line specialties said it was within specs, but when i would jsut turn the pinion it jsaut felt to restricitve..am i just on crack? and everything is fine?
Total pre-load Ring and pinion should be 15in lb.
So yes it does turn a little hard if pre-load is correct.

Last edited:
Some resistance is good. The Key is that its smooth and not rough. it shouldn't be hard to turn but there should be enough resistance that it stops spinning the second that you stop spinning it.
its very hard to explain.

Rawbrown said:
Some resistance is good. The Key is that its smooth and not rough. it shouldn't be hard to turn but there should be enough resistance that it stops spinning the second that you stop spinning it.
its very hard to explain.

well i was goin through the axles at my auto shop (14-bolt) (front passengerside dana 44) (both for sale if anyone is interested) and those two were easy to spin with the carrier and oil in it....when i hav emy axle opena nd nothing but the pining installed with a little oil, it seems harder to spint hen the others soo thats wat started this whoel problem for me

Back