• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding Question

rws

NAXJA Forum User
Need some expert advice. I have to weld (mig) a peice of 5/16 steel plate onto the frame of my commanche under the left door. The gas lines run down the other side of the frame. Is this possible to do without blowing something up??

Yes, as long as you don't weld to the fuel line (or try to) :laugh3:

yeah..you'll be fine...just get the lines UP and out of the way, not below where you're welding. Not that I have had bad experiences with them below...but I don't know how thick they are, and weld dripping/splatter is known to get pretty hot. :wave: so I just never let them get below.

use a piece of aluminum sheet metal as a heat shield and keep them cool.

steagall9301 said:
use a piece of aluminum sheet metal as a heat shield and keep them cool.

Sheet aluminum or sheet steel, shield or heat sink, works well. I also occasionally, spray down anything I don't want to get hot with water. I use an empty window cleaner pump sprayer, in fact I keep a few around the shop, they come in handy when some undercoating or even your shirt decides to ignite.
One thing not to forget when welding under any vehicle, is there is often carpet and padding on the other side (or very near) where your welding.
You can actually soak down a whole area with water even where your welding and it really doesn't seem to affect the weld (with a MIG) any.

XJoachim said:
Yes, as long as you don't weld to the fuel line (or try to) :laugh3:
What's wrong with that? :gee: :explosion

countdown to some pompous ass telling him "THIS DOESN'T BELONG IN ADVANCED FAB BLAH BLAH" . . .

trainwrexj said:
countdown to some pompous ass telling him "THIS DOESN'T BELONG IN ADVANCED FAB BLAH BLAH" . . .
THIS DOESN'T BELONG IN ADVANCED FAB BLAH BLAH" . . .

i usualy soak an old shirt or rag in water (ring it out so it isnt dripping) and cover what ever i dont want getting splatter on, works great for welding spider gears so you dont get nothin on the r&p gears and its free.

88rockxj said:
i usualy soak an old shirt or rag in water (ring it out so it isnt dripping) and cover what ever i dont want getting splatter on, works great for welding spider gears so you dont get nothin on the r&p gears and its free.
Oatmeal :laugh3: The way they used to do it. Probably still works. Or a handful of shredded newspaper, soaked in a solution of corn starch. Starching your clothes is also a good way, not to have burn throughs in your shirts.
People get so wrapped up in new tech. (heat absorbing gels and such) that they forget the old solutions, that worked for a hundred years or more.

Wet shop rags works wonders too! We used them all the time in structrual fabbing. Just wrap the lin in wet rags, will keep them cool and free from sparks.

Back