• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE for 3" Rusty's Lift???

joey99jb

NAXJA Forum User
Will I need a SYE for a 3" Rusty's Lift. I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport that I am planning on lifting using Rusty's 3" Spring Pack Kit and I want to make sure I have everything necessary for a successful lift.

Thanks guys

joey99jb said:
Will I need a SYE for a 3" Rusty's Lift. I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport that I am planning on lifting using Rusty's 3" Spring Pack Kit and I want to make sure I have everything necessary for a successful lift.

Thanks guys

Search button-------third from the right

maybe, maybe not. i ran at 4" in my '99 with no vibes, but others have experienced them at less lift.

hey my rustys 3" springs sat at 5" for a while now they've settled down to 4... if your'e planning on wheeling right away id get it

joey99jb said:
Do you need to change your driveshaft if you get one?
Yes. Again, Search is your friend as this gets discussed VERY frequently. SYEs like the AA and PORC (and others, I just don't feellike thinking right now) use a rear yoke that also happens to fit front driveshafts...so you can use a front shaft in the rear. Works real well, too if you have the right lengths. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/sye.html

Newer XJ's will most likely need an SYE due to t-case output shaft redesigning....the older ones(early 90s and older) can usually get away without using one.

When we installed my brothers 3.5" RE lift we also installed an SYE. Just for fun we gave it a spin with a tcase drop and shims and it vibrated like mad. The u-joint angles were so bad the yokes were just a hair from smacking each other when the shaft rotated.
I've heard others that get away with just a t-case drop. There was no getting around an SYE on my bro's 98.

Is there a Boston chapter of NAXJA? I am having a sick feeling that I am gonna screw something up and I dont have to tools to be messing with some of this stuff. I guess i can always resort to going to a local shop of some sort...

For what it's worth . . .
I put this same kit in in the spring, and let it settle out over the summer, with no serious wheeling (unfortunately). I just put in a Daystar 3/4" spacer over the coils last weekend to level it out. It helped, but I might put in another 3/4 spacer, since it's still sitting considerably higher in the rear even with a full tank of gas. I dropped the T-Case one inch at the same time I put the lift in. I've taken it on trips at highway speeds of 70 or so for up to four hours. I get a bit of vibration, but not much; I was expecting a lot worse. I'm thinking of putting shims in so I can raise the T-Case to get that clearance back.

Back