• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idol?

97RedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I think my water pump is going out and now my idol is all over the place. Question is..... can the water pump make the idol get crazy if it is going out?

is that like an american idol?

NO, but a vacuum leak can.

Clue us in on why you think your water pump is going bad.

I don't know why, but the image of my idol running around all over the place just cracks my up :laugh3: I don't even have an idea of who my idol would look like...maybe something like a dashboard Jesus running back and forth across the dash, "aaaaahhhhhh" while you're trying to drive. "Jesus Christ, get back here!" That's some funny shait.

Seriously. According to NAXJA archives (type "fast idle" [with quotes]), fast idle is a vacume leak, or MAP related (which equates to vaume leak affecting MAP).

WOW I never knew I could get this much attention with a misspelled word. I guess that is what happens when post at 5 am. I just put on a Rustys K&N and air tube and the tube that goes from the Rustys tube to the motor that is in the shape of a Z was kinked a little more then stock so maybe that needs to be adjusted some what.

It was leaking water from somewhere out of the water pump that is why I thought it may be a water pump issue.

97RedXJ said:
WOW I never knew I could get this much attention with a misspelled word. I guess that is what happens when post at 5 am. I just put on a Rustys K&N and air tube and the tube that goes from the Rustys tube to the motor that is in the shape of a Z was kinked a little more then stock so maybe that needs to be adjusted some what.

It was leaking water from somewhere out of the water pump that is why I thought it may be a water pump issue.

that tube is crankcase vacuum, pull the end that connects to the air tube while the motor is running and feel it. Is it drawing air in?-

I believe that is a different vacume system than the one that would cause high idle. check to see if any hoses got knocked loose when the tube was installed. (throttle body, MAP, etc)

Your water pump issue is separate but no less important. Leaks from the weep hole under the water pump snout mean you need to replace it as the bearing is shot... Leaks from elsewhere could be as simple as tightening a clamp or re-sealing the gasket.

97RedXJ said:

It's just the image of your idol running amok. Very funny. Tracking down a vacume leak is no fun. Replacing the water pump is no big deal. That's the first thing I had to do to mine soon after I got it.

Another thing that will bugger you idle is the idle air control (IAC). You can check that, if you wait till its warmed up and catch it when the idle is at some reasonable speed then unplug the IAC. If it is still erratic then you have a vac leak or somethig else.

Back