• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wagoneer Dana 44 hubs

94xjkyle

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of possibly buying a set of 87 wagoneer 44's. my question was concerning the front dana 44. the wagoneer is full time 4wd and the front hubs a fixed hubs with shiny dust caps. I am wondering if i can purchase warn locking hubs for this axle and bolt them in or would i need new rotors/hub assemblies. I was thinking that everything is the same except for the locking mechanism itself.

Thanks

Buy them, bolt them on. That's it!

Hmm, thats seems odd. I thought that there were manual conversion kits which were way more expensive than just the hubs. Why would they sell a conversion kit when people can just buy the hubs to convert their axle?

wrecked said:
Hmm, thats seems odd. I thought that there were manual conversion kits which were way more expensive than just the hubs. Why would they sell a conversion kit when people can just buy the hubs to convert their axle?

Got a link or part number?

We're talking about a D44 here, right? D30's will use a conversion kit because they use a unit bearing which is supported somewhat by the stub shaft. They have no seperate bearings or spindles as found on D44's. The hub assembly found on your D44 has a type of drive flange inside which is replaced by a set of gears that engage and disenge via the manual hub lock when you buy standard hubs.

I'm in the midst of the same transplant -- they will bolt right in. The only exception being older D44's which use a different spindle nut, not compatible with locking hubs. Even if that is the case, pick up a set of new style spindle nuts on ebay for $20 and your in business.

I did this to my non-lockout Waggy hubs (Waggy D-44 driver's drop from '86 Grand Wag) with the silver cap about 2 months ago. I bought warn hubs from the autoparts store, 75 bucks. Went home and had them on in about 15 min. for both sides. You'll need a snap ring plier.

I bought the Warn hub conversion about 3 years ago for my XJ, which cost about $800, and took a couple of hours to install (Unit bearings are a PITA!).

Get the Warn Premium hubs, they're about $15 more than the standards and they have a lifetime warranty. Part number you're looking for is 20990 on the hubs and you shouldn't need a spindle nut kit with that axle. Ford and Chev applications used different spindle nuts.

Back