• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Core Replacement Tips

JimsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
First, I would like to thank those who have posted info on this topic before. I read a lot and started the job in the right frame of mind. (I thought the job would suck.)

It took 10 hours on a 97 XJ which included stopping for lunch, getting tools, and wasting time trying to figure out some of the things below. Unlike most of the work I do on my XJ, I didn't break every bolt that came out. (only one that held the passenger seat in)

A few tips from my experience:

- Take out the passenger seat.

- Spend the $10 on the A/C spring-lock coupling tool. It's worth it. I wasted way too much time trying to beat this one.

- Change the A/C evaporative core while you're there. You don't want to go back in if you don't have to.

- I removed all 4 bolts and two nuts on the top of the dash, the two 'rotation' bolts on the lower ends and the 4 nuts holding the center of the dash to the transmission hump. I then pulled the dash up and out. resting it on the AT shifter and steering column. I recommend this, it gave me plenty of room to work. I would have taken out the dash out, but didn't want to deal with the steering wheel.

- I put in a new A/C drier-accumulator, added 4 oz of oil to it and then topped the system with R134 with a DIY kit. It's probably too early to tell for the long haul, but after a few days it seems to be good.

- There's a strip of foam that seals the connection between the heater duct and the rear seat heat. Put new foam in. Mine was left out and now I have very little heat in the front seat, but lots of heat in the back seat. I've got to take out the center console to put new foam in before it gets cold.

Would I do it again? If I had to, I would. It cost about $450 for a heater core, evaporative core, accumulator, antifreeze, R134, A/C tools and fill kit. Adding labor to that would hurt even more.

Thanks all- I hope this helps someone. -Jim C

Back