• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker Confusion

noresttill

NAXJA Forum User
Hello again everyone,

I have a 96 4.0 AW4 8.25 2wd DD. I bought it before I cared about wheeling and want to make it more trailable. So a locker, i believe, is in order.

i searched and the no-slip had many followers, but I have no idea what brands to look for. I went to DC4WD and they have at least 7 lockers listed.

I would like to keep it under $300 dollars if possible, but will save more if the difference in quality is great. any suggestions??

Thanks

Jesse

The Blu Yak said:
Aussie locker has created quite a buzz in the wheelin industry

and run about 220 + shipping...

i love my aussie.. got one for the rear, and now im buying the front if that tells ya anything

thats what the posts that Ive searched said.

Is there a way to contact Aussie direct?

And WTF?!?! the C8.25 rear differential is probably the most common thing jeep tires go on besides rocks!!!

Thanks, I actually just emailed them, I dont know why, but for some reason I thought they wouldnt have a website.

If this doesn't pan out, and I hope it does the product looks great, any other suggestions besides the Aussie.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
They make one for the 27-spline, they don't have one for the 29-spline flavor yet, but you have a 96, you should be fine.
Correction: "If you have a 96, you might be fine."

The 96 was the transition year. Early 96s had the 27-spline, late 96s had the 29-spline.

If I remember correctly, there is no marking between the 27 and 29.

So I take off the diff cover and count the ridges?

I am very happy to hear they make one for a 8.25.

Yup, take the cover off, and expect to have to pull the c-clip to pull an axle shaft to count it; I couldn't see enough otherwise to determine the spline count on mine.

Most '96 XJs with the C8.25 had the 27-spline rear, only the very latest ones changed over to the 29-spline shafts.

I got an Email from Offroad and it said there will be an 8.25 Aussie available in the early spring.

I dont know how long they have been telling people that, but I cant wait.

noresttill said:
I got an Email from Offroad and it said there will be an 8.25 Aussie available in the early spring.

I dont know how long they have been telling people that, but I cant wait.

and the best news is that the devolopment of the Ford 9 unit is in testing stages right now...

whoo hoo!

Back