• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5 RE and no SYE for on road

LS1Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Can I use a RE 4.5 and not use an SYE? Will the drive shaft stay in the rear of the case or will it fall out when I hit a bump ?

I want to put the lift on and drop the x-fer case and put some shims in, but this will just be for 3-4 weeks, and will be on road only. I want to get the HD SYE and a C-V shaft but with Christmas coming up I will prob get it then.

(yes, I searched and couldn't find a direct answer)

Thanks !

I have a 97 and dont have the Re rear pack but I am running the RE 5.5 up front and she sits level. I have not had a problem with the rear shaft as of yet. I just did a little and I mean very easy trails yesterday with no issues.
I see a SYE in my near future but for on the road I would think you are fine.

You will be very lucky if you drop the case and shim properly and still have "Almost" no vibes.

If you are this lucky you will need to check the driveshaft and make sure you do not have any binding in the rear driveshaft. If so you need a YJ, S-10, rusty's style yoke.

Michael

Yea Im going to get a H/D SYE with a T/W shaft ... I just dont have the extra 500 some dollars at the moment, but wanted to get the lift put on and out of the way

If you drop the tranny and shim the rear, I think you can deal with whatever vibes remain for a couple months.... just as long as you PLAN on installing the SYE later on.

Oh yeah... you won't have to worry about your DS falling out when you hit a bump, but don't be catching any air with that setup....

The SYE isn't just for keeping the DS from falling out it is more of the drive line vibrations that you will be worrying about... as mentioned in a previous post a longer slip yoke and propper shimming may suit your needs.. good luck :cheers:

jeepinandy said:
The SYE isn't just for keeping the DS from falling out it is more of the drive line vibrations that you will be worrying about... as mentioned in a previous post a longer slip yoke and propper shimming may suit your needs.. good luck :cheers:

ahh ok I figure I'll be ok with some vibes just didnt want to try the pole vault in the Jeep at 55 er somthin

Back