• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chopped top /2000 XJ/HaZakated

HaZakated

NAXJA Forum User
I chopped it, caged it, wheeled it, and took pictures. Its not quite done; however, it is most of the way there.
What have I forgoten? What do you think I should add? How should I do my soft top/Hard top?

Before
100_1858.jpg

After
DSC00131.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

Man that is great that you kept the rear hatch as a tailgate. I wish more would have done it that way.

Is that a BBQ grill serving as a front skidplate? I hope it's hinged so you can fold it out back at camp and smoke up some brats. Sweet.

It is part of a rack system from a warehouse. Its purpose was to stablize skids that sat on it. I don't think black paint would go over well with our stomacks. lol...

I shattered the rear window while trying pull it out. It works perfectly for a tailgate though the only issue that I have is this: How could I latch it without using bungys to hold it closed.

Another question that I am working is this: What should I do to seal up and strengthen the roof right there is the back. I thought about using the rear pillar that I chopped out for a support, then bondo-ing the holes at the left and the right of the roof. I am open to any ideas.

wow thats one of the cleanest chops ive seen in a long time...wouldnt happen to have a side pic of it would you? hehe also those rims look a lot like the stock steelies? what width tire are you running on those if they are...no backspacing?

Ya already know my suggestions, but they probably aren't that helpful.

Looks like a good trip to haspin, wish I could have made it.
Maybe if the weather's good again in the next few weeks?

choped a 97+ and put a roll bar in?

:Yikes

Do you have more pics of the Cage? Also, are those 2 hinges for the tail gate just bolted to the sheet metal and to the bumper?

I think some closer pics of the cage, the chop, and the tailgate would give us something better to look at.

Looks ok from a distance though.

Frank Z said:
I guess I'm the minority vote on this one.

You ruined it. (n)

Its worth more to ME now. I almost flopped it a few months ago and decided that a cage is nessesary. The latch for the rear hatch was broken so I decided to chop it instead of fix it. At this point, the project is still in process. I had to take a break do to finacial aspects. The cage is tied into the frame in 4 places righ now. There a total of 8 connection points. Im going to build wedge rocker panels to tie the rest in. Four of them are bolted to the floorboard. The tubing is .120 wall 1 1/2 " diameter. I lined the cage with plasticoat of which I am going to change to hurculiner soon. Plasicoat scatches off to easy. 'm using a marine pleather material for the soft top, weather stripping, and self tapper snaps.

I'll post alot more pics. Im interested as to how I can strengthen and make this alot better over all.

Brian

I like it...

Interested in how you finished the edges where it was chopped and what material that is that you added...

Is it some type of plastic/pvc?

is it bolted to the edges...

if it's metal, did you weld, rivet etc?

Find a marine shop and you'll be good...

Going with a square back or slant?

Gil BullyKatz said:
I like it...

Interested in how you finished the edges where it was chopped and what material that is that you added...

Is it some type of plastic/pvc?

is it bolted to the edges...

if it's metal, did you weld, rivet etc?

Find a marine shop and you'll be good...

Going with a square back or slant?

It is aluminum diamond plate that I painted black. I chopped up some truck bed line rails.

I used large self tappers to bolt it down

I got the marine pleather material from a fabric shop

I'm going with a slant back

Frank Z said:
I guess I'm the minority vote on this one.

You ruined it. (n)

No not at all!
I will be doing mine in 2006, if there is any sheet metal left to cut!

To strengthen the rear roof, weld in some square tubing you could even tie that in to the roll cage.

I like the looks of that!

seanR said:
No not at all!
I will be doing mine in 2006, if there is any sheet metal left to cut!

To strengthen the rear roof, weld in some square tubing you could even tie that in to the roll cage.

I like the looks of that!

Back