• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine switch time

Chero-King

NAXJA Forum User
Well this is the third thread I've started today lol...but anyway...
My insurance runs out today and I dont plan on re-insuring it for about a week and half.

Because...
Its finnaly time to switch out my old tired engine to another 4.0 that runs a hell of a lot smoother and has less Kms.
Im switching an 87 4.0 into my 88, and I know a lot of people have done this and was wondering if there is anything major I should watch out for when taking it out or putting it back in? Im going to be renting and engine hoist this week and other than that I think I have mostly everything I need.
I know this is going to be a hell of a lot of work and I really dont want to do it but as stated in another thread I started today, I have to spend $300 on an unrelated issue and dont have the money right now to pay someone to do it. So as I asked before, Is there anything I should know about these engines before switching?

My tip is to pull the hood, the front grille, radiator, and top radiator support. Then pull the engine, tranny and tcase as one unit. It really speeds things up and I think, makes it easier.

The balance point for the engine, AW4 and tcase is just about at the rear head bolts.

while you have the radiator out, at least take a water hose and flush it real good. Don't forget to keep all the accessories and sensors for spares. If you get the new engine ahead of time, I would pull the valve cover, degrease it well, and clean the ccv vents as well as a new gasket.

Look at your motor mounts when you do the swap. Also make sure to check if the new engine has gages or idiot lights, because if they are not the same, you will need to swap the sensors.

old_man said:
My tip is to pull the hood, the front grille, radiator, and top radiator support. Then pull the engine, tranny and tcase as one unit. It really speeds things up and I think, makes it easier.

The balance point for the engine, AW4 and tcase is just about at the rear head bolts.

while you have the radiator out, at least take a water hose and flush it real good. Don't forget to keep all the accessories and sensors for spares. If you get the new engine ahead of time, I would pull the valve cover, degrease it well, and clean the ccv vents as well as a new gasket.

Look at your motor mounts when you do the swap. Also make sure to check if the new engine has gages or idiot lights, because if they are not the same, you will need to swap the sensors.

Well the engine is coming out of a jeep thats sitting in my driveway and I've used just about every other part off the jeep with the good engine for my 88 including the dash so I know the new engine will work the the dash in my 88.

Also the new engine has a manual tranny with it and the jeep Im putting it into has an auto, does that make a difference if I were to switch the tranny?
Cause my origional plan was to just take the engine... cause I thought it would be less work.

I've just found it easier to do the tranny swap when it is out and on the lift. Kind of a personal preference thing. I rarely have anybody around to help when I do a swap and trying to stab an engine / tranny by yourself in the vehicle is a royal PIA.

Yeah, I know its going to be a pain the ass whether I take the tranny and t-case or not, I might have a buddy helping me but not thru the whole thing, I'll be doing most of it on my own.
My biggest concern is putting the engine in my 88 and having it not start, Im not stupid with these kinds of things but Im just scared that that's whats going to happen.

Stuffing a manual in the vehicle is a lot harder. Also remember you will have to remove the pilot bearing in the manual tranny engine before you try to stab the automatic. Do a search, there are several methods to get the old bearing out.

If there is any possiblilty the rear main is leaking on the replacement engine, I would really think about fixing it while the engine is out. It is tons easier then. I understand $$$ are an issue, but sometimes it is better to skip a meal and buy the part do fix it when it will be so much easier.

Also, visually check the harmonic balancer. The rubber tends to come out as they get older, If the replacement has a problem, definately do a quick swap.

Well while the good engines out Im going to try to clean the crap out of it and replace as many parts as I can, as in gaskets and belts and other minor stuff, Money is an issue but I'm not going to sacrifice changing anything on the engine because I dont want it turning out like my 88 the thing leaks like a b!tch and has been overheated so many times its not even funny.

Back