• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ won't start after stalling

I just purchased my first XJ (1990, 4.0, 5spd), and it won't start after it stalls. It usually starts right up (after holding the key to 'run' for a few seconds). I've only stalled it once, and luckily I was close to (and uphill from) my house. It cranked, and it sounded like it was close to catching, but didn't actually start. After about fifteen minutes, I gave up and just coasted downhill to my house. When I got back from school eight hours later, it started just fine. What could cause this problem, and what's the cheapest way to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Crank Position Sensor is known for making the engine just stop running, and also will cuase a no start situation. I've never had one fail, but do a search for CPS and you'll see all sorts of threads with about the same description as you.

An update on this problem: the first two times I stalled it, it refused to start. And then I didn't stall it for a few weeks, and so didn't have this problem. In the last week, it's been stalled about five times (once by me, the rest by the mechanic at my inspection station who didn't realize that I had put the parking brake on). Every time it stalled, it would fire right back up.

My Jeep sat in dealer lots for about three months before I picked it up. Could this problem have been related to sitting for so long?

87manche said:
Crank Position Sensor is known for making the engine just stop running, and also will cuase a no start situation. I've never had one fail, but do a search for CPS and you'll see all sorts of threads with about the same description as you.

Have you tried the CPS? Mine did the same thing, replaced the CPS and it has run fine since. This is a dealer item, about $80.

c130herc said:
Have you tried the CPS? Mine did the same thing, replaced the CPS and it has run fine since. This is a dealer item, about $80.

Here is the website that has a good testing procedure for CPS Sensor (towards the end)
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

The fuel pump or clogged fuel filter could prevent proper fuel delivery, hence the stalling condition. I've recently picked up an Actron CP7818 testing kit at advance auto parts for $38. It connects to the schrader valve right on the fuel rail. You should have 39psi with key turned on and during cranking.

Back