• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LA upper CA install help

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
am trying to get these long arms moutned and am having trouble with one arm. All of the other arms are in with the bolts through, but I cant for the life of me get this one in. I finally put the tires back on tot see if I could roll it around enough to get it close but it didnt move much. So, this is about as close as it been all day. How the heck do I get it in there? What trick dont I know?
They are all the right length, so need to get the axle housing to rotate back about an inch. I tried jacking under the tie rod, knuckles, track bar etc, and cant get it any closer than this. Help!
18c92295.jpg

4b1299b3.jpg

I had this problem and used a come along. wrap one end around the rear axel and the other to you upper control arm bracket, then crank it down. If you don't have a come along try blocking the front pasenger side tire, start moter and drive forward just slighty...oops got it backwards, put the wheel block behind the tire and put it in reverse.. I think you get the idea. Hope this helps

Also a c-clamp might work. That's what I did when I worked on my UCA last time. The trick is to place it so that it grabs the back of the U on the UCA and pull it in without having the clamp slip.

bottle jack on top of the pinion pushing down. or a monkey wrench on the axel and a floor jack under it pushing up. also a really large hammer

Disconnect the track bar, get the axle centered under the Jeep. When all is in alignment it will drop right on. Trust me... ;) Looks by the first pic that the axle needs to go to the drivers side.

On a side note, are you sure that UCA mount is in proper allignment?

Bob

I dig the OD paint on the parts...

You might want to think about unbolting the lower, then bolting on the upper, then the lower again. I did it like that on mine, and it was the only solution I ever found.

Rock Yacht said:
Disconnect the track bar, get the axle centered under the Jeep. When all is in alignment it will drop right on. Trust me... ;) Looks by the first pic that the axle needs to go to the drivers side.

On a side note, are you sure that UCA mount is in proper allignment?

Bob

Hmmm that's interesting. Cause my uppers used to go on a lot easier than now and for some reason after I looked at the front of my XJ I did think it looked a bit of center.

I like the big pipe wrench/floor jack method. :)

Put a pipe wrench on the axle tube. Put a floor jack at the end of the wrench handle. Then jack up slowly until the axle rotates and the holes line up.

Works every time.

The bottle jack on teh pinion idea worked like a treat- only after we unbolted the track bar- the axle isnt centered. Once it is all teh busghins will not be preloaded anymore....
j

Back