• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo cable install

Superhonky74

NAXJA Forum User
I hope someone is awake at this hour.(2:00 a.m. in AZ). I installed a new mopar speedo cable in my 87 XJ but the speedometer is still not working. What did I do wrong. Help!

Clocked the t-case output correctly? If it's not set right according to the tooth count of the gear, then it won't mesh correctly with the output shaft from the t-case.

This pic is from my '96 so it's an electric speedo signal but the housing still needs to be clocked and secured correctly.
speedo_out.jpg

If all you did was remove the cable by unscrewing it from the transfer case adapter and clocking the adapter is not the problem, you might recheck that the cable did not come loose from the cluster
I know on my MJ it is a very tight fit and not much slack
And the first time it installed mine I did not get the cluster end snapped on good enough and it popped off during the reassembly of the cluster.
Or if all is connected correctly did you have a bad cluster to start with?

Superhonky74 said:
I hope someone is awake at this hour.(2:00 a.m. in AZ). I installed a new mopar speedo cable in my 87 XJ but the speedometer is still not working. What did I do wrong. Help!
Did you replace the whole cable or just the innards? If you replaced just the innards, which end did you push the coil inner cable through? Was your old cable coil broken? If you just replaced the insides, did you check the length against the old one?
If you have cruise control there is a speed sensor between the cable end and the dash, with a short adapter pin.
It sometimes takes some work to get the cable (inner spring cable) end to seat completely into the slot, you have to kind of push and twist. I've had to remove the cable hold down under the drivers seat on the frame, to get a little extra slack to get a straighter shot at the slot.

Back