• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

later NP231 into a...

red91

NAXJA Forum User
91 XJ.

1.) direct swap ? or no ? (talking 97 up style NP231)

2.) Would it be easy to adapt ?

I can get my hands on a later ax-15 with it, thinking it would be easy to do it as a whole. ( would like to by-pass internal clutch cyl.)

ANyone do this yet ?

Last edited:
the yokes on the drive shafts will be difrent. early ones had internal slip yokes, and latter, (starting in 96 i think) had external slip yokes. also transmisssions went from 21 to 23 spline outputs in the early 90's. not too sure what year.

I wouldn' think it'd be a problem.

Take the yoke from the doner vehicles driveshaft.

Your '91 should already be a 23 spline input so that should be golden. the only burp I can think of is a MAJOR one.

Your 4WD light may not work ;)

What are you taking out? If it's useful, we may have to set up a relay somehow... I've got to get rid of this damn Peugeot gearbox! I'm changing the thing this week-end - but it's another Peugeot, and it's a band-aid fix more than anything else...

5-90

with no light how are you gonna know if your in 4wd or not?

touche :laugh:

dont know if this helps but i had rebuilt a 91 231 case from parts of three different cases. one was a 97 one was a 01 and the stock 91. the 97 rear portions of the case was mated to the front 91 sections and i used the guts from the 01. if your still following and this makes sense, i used the original slip yoke and had no problems with it. dont ask why we had to pices the transfercase back from pieces......

ttu.or said:
dont know if this helps but i had rebuilt a 91 231 case from parts of three different cases. one was a 97 one was a 01 and the stock 91. the 97 rear portions of the case was mated to the front 91 sections and i used the guts from the 01. if your still following and this makes sense, i used the original slip yoke and had no problems with it. dont ask why we had to pices the transfercase back from pieces......

Why did you have to do it like that? :D
I can see that using the entire front would avoid shaft incompatibilities.

Back