• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case -- Tranny Fluid ONLY

mgreen84

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure if I should post here, but..........

Just a reminder or advice for anyone doing a tune up. I dropped off the jeep this afternoon to a friend of mine who owns a Tranny Shop, the Garage I work for and his shop do business together, so to repay a debt he was going to Drain and fill the diffs. Run a computer check on my tranny (Check shift Indexes), change the fluid, and put in the Aluminum driveshaft I had made (before I leave next weekend for Utah). I picked it up about 2 hours ago and decided to crawl underneath and check out the driveshaft fitment. I noticed a little over-spill on the transfer case where he had filled it, it was "gear lube"........
Now regardless of what you've heard or believe NEVER fill your t-case with gear lube. ALWAYS tranny Fluid, compunds are different, viscosity, thermal breakdown, conditioners all are different for each........some use gear lube but IMHO The damn thing was built for tranny fluid and thats what you should use,
Now since I have vented to you guys, time to pay this retard another visit!!!

mgreen84 said:
I dropped off the jeep this afternoon to a friend of mine who owns a Tranny Shop, the Garage I work for and his shop do business together, so to repay a debt he was going to Drain and fill the diffs....

You'd better be looking at it all.....not just the t-case.

OUCH! Just a friendly reminder that if you DIY there is only 1 person to blame in the end.

very true, I usually do all my work myself but my son had a game today...thought I would be ok, guy seemed pretty smart....don't judge a redneck by how many teeth are left.....I know

Back