• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS axle u joints?

AKswampheep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ with abs and it has the ( i forget what its called ) speed sensing unit, looks like a wheel with teeth on it, and it seems to be part of the outer axle shaft. Well.. The outer axle shaft looks tired and i was wanting to replace it, is there any way i could replace it without getting a new "dealer bought shaft" because there are currently ZERO abs cherokees in terre hautes junkyards

i believe what you are refering to is the tone ring and as long as you bought the non abs stuff for all 4 corners i don't see why it would be a problem, allthough you may get a dummy light on your dash saying the ABS isn't working, which may or may not be able to be "bypassed" by grounding the ABS wires.
Chad

Actually, any Dana/Spicer dealer can get you the outer shaft and/or the tone rings. These are actually separate parts.

I did exactly this on a friend's 92 XJ a couple of years back. The tone rings were nearly solid with rust, and I spread the yokes removing the old u-joints. I had him order the shafts and rings from Drivetrain Direct, but any Dana/Spicer dealer should either have them on the shelf or can get them from the warehouse.

Believe it or not, you won't need a press to get the tone rings on the outer shafts. Put the shafts in the freezer, and put the tone rings in a 200 degree oven. They'll slip together and when they get back to ambient temp, they won't come apart.

Back