• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air tank size for stock tires?

whatevah

It's Yellah!
wondering what the smallest size is I can get away with to refill a set of 4 tires back to 30psi. I'm running stock size (225/75/15) and don't air down too often, but I'd like to be able to air up once or twice without driving around looking for a working pump, or mooching off a friend. :)

asking for smallest so I can still have room for gear and such in the back of the XJ. I saw a nice 5 gallon tank yesterday, and it's pretty small, but would it be too small? Really clueless about this.

well, forget "small", I suppose. thanks

P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2

P - Pressure
V - Volume
T - Temperature

You can solve the debate easily. You can get a little compressor with a pressure switch built in at Wally*World. It has an internal battery, or it hooks to your cig lighter. I use one to air up 31x9.5's takes about 15 minutes per tire.

Last edited:
Check into Viair...they make on-board (wired in) compressors that will air you up in about 15-20 min. I run 31X10.5's...and my Viair compressor (without a reservoir tank) airs my tires from 12 to 30 psi in about 15 min. It's all I need (for now).

Flyfisher said:
Check into Viair...they make on-board (wired in) compressors that will air you up in about 15-20 min. I run 31X10.5's...and my Viair compressor (without a reservoir tank) airs my tires from 12 to 30 psi in about 15 min. It's all I need (for now).
The sure do but not for $80.00.

probably just comparing it to the Tornado compressor linked to above.

langer1 said:
You read the few lines, their talking about C02 not compressed air.
????

The title of the original post did ask what size air tank. Silly me, I thought that meant air, not CO2.

CO2 = Compressed air. I was asking about the smallest size tank I could get away with. I might go with a small compressor, though... smaller and probably a bit safer.

Actually, like Eagle, I've been following this thread thinking you actually wanted air tanks. BTW, co2=carbon dioxide, not air.

I run a 10 lb and it works. If size is really a concern a 5 lb would work too; just not for as long ;) It would easily do one trip though I'd imagine.

See the thread linked earlier here on CO2 tanks; I have more information on that thread on the second page.

CO2 actually = carbon dioxide

I beleive O2 (oxygen) and CO2 have different expansion/compression ratios which I think is why some people are using co2 but the down side is you can't just fill it up the tank at the local gas station

whatevah said:
CO2 = Compressed air. I was asking about the smallest size tank I could get away with. I might go with a small compressor, though... smaller and probably a bit safer.
CO2 does not equal compressed air. CO2 is carbon dioxide. Try breathing CO2 for 5 minutes and you'll know the difference -- for the brief period before you drop dead from asphyxiation.

Back