• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

deep i mean deep squeal

Cupcake

NAXJA Member #1377
somewhere way down in the bottom of my engine compartment i am getting a high pitched squeal i have lived with it for 1 month and it hasnt stopped all the belts have been done as of yesterday and lubricated anyone have an idea what it may be

'91 XJ 4.0

belt tensioner?

thats what it was for our chevy express van

i realize thats a LOT different than a jeep but thats what it was for the chevy

kev0 said:
all the belts have been done as of yesterday and lubricated

Hey Kevin,

You lubricated your belts?!? You mean that belt dressing stuff? That could be your problem.

91Limited said:
belt tensioner?

thats what it was for our chevy express van

i realize thats a LOT different than a jeep but thats what it was for the chevy
It's different, the jeep don't have one.
Does it make the noise with the belts off.

Try this: get some brake fluid in a pump spray bottle, or put some in a cup and get a little paintbrush, and hit both sides of the belt with that as it turns (careful not to get salaminized by the fan please!). It will not harm the belt, and will evaporate quickly. If the belt stops squealing, you have either a misaligned pulley or the belt is not tight enough yet. Check the idler pulleys and water pump for loose bearings, and the crank pulley/vibration damper for deterioration of the rubber.

Mine squeals too when its wet, the belt needs tightening but I can't get the bolt to free up. It also does it sometimes if I load up the alternator.

I once thought I was loosing my engine because the squeel was so bad. I ended up taking a strip of sandpaper from my belt sander and my drill to drive each pulley individually. Ended up that the rear bearing in the alternator was bad.

Several years ago I had a similar squeal. The Chrysler mechanic listened to it and said "it's the power steering pump". So I bought a new pump and spent half a day changing it. The squeal was still there! So I took it to a non-dealer shop and they looked at it and said it was the bearing in the A/C compressor (pully?). Well, that's beyond my ability so I had them change it. No more squeal. I guess my obvious clue should have been that the squeal stopped when the A/C compressor was engaged. duh.......

Check you're harmonic ballancer; I chased an ugly squealing noise for weeks changing all the pulleys and the water pump only to have a freind come up with the answer; the vulcanised inner and outer parts of the ballancer were seperating.

Back