• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Free Tip

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
I just had my first attempt at loose rust removal. The spinning wire brush that you can attach to a drill does not work as well as doing it by hand. YMMV.
:cheers:

Alienspecimen said:
I just had my first attempt at loose rust removal. The spinning wire brush that you can attach to a drill does not work as well as doing it by hand. YMMV.
:cheers:
Get a Knotted wire wheel on a 4" angle grinder and a pair of saftey glasses.

langer1 said:
Get a Knotted wire wheel on a 4" angle grinder and a pair of saftey glasses.

Full face mask, gloves, leather jacket and Kevlar supporter. They work good, but those things are dangerous. When they get well used and the bristles have been heated a few times, they shed some, at fairly high RPM's.
You really have to respect the old angle grinder and wire wheel combo.

8Mud said:
Full face mask, gloves, leather jacket and Kevlar supporter. They work good, but those things are dangerous. When they get well used and the bristles have been heated a few times, they shed some, at fairly high RPM's.
You really have to respect the old angle grinder and wire wheel combo.
But boy the rust will fly :laugh3:

use a sandblaster thats what i used on my jeeps rockers.
100_2331.jpg

A couple of added notes.

Watch out for sandblasting on sheet metal that you will paint. There's often a lot of moisture in the compressed air, and the pits in sandblasted surfaces hold it in. Dry it very well and prime it immediately.

And be careful using a really stiff wire brush on sheet metal. It makes a lot of heat, and can warp panels very quickly.

Ditto on the blaster. I got a compressor from Harbor Freight and a cheap blaster from Wally World, I'm gonna upgrade to a better one though, find myself using it quite a bit. It's quick and lets you really see what you are up against.

Back