• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaking tranny fluid?

MooseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok second time this has happened... on highway, going 65-70 which is prolly more like 70-75 and fluid spits out the rear and smoke, from hitting cat and muffler. i was told to keep it at about 60-65 to keep from this happening, due to 37s runnin on that tranny. even though it has a tranny cooler. engine stays cool so its not engine and oil, oil stays normal as well. curious if anyone else has this problem or if there is a leak somewhere, and suggestions? im goin on a 2 hour trip Sat. so i figure i will bring fluid and drive about 60.

4.88s
thats what i would think, im gonna get some stop leak if they make that for trannys and try that and just drive slow, it could also be that its just old with 148k on the jeep.

MooseXJ said:
4.88s
thats what i would think, im gonna get some stop leak if they make that for trannys and try that and just drive slow, it could also be that its just old with 148k on the jeep.
Shouldn't that be more like 5.10s with 37s?

just incase, check your dipstick tube. i was just working on my tranny cuz it was leaking and noticed that my main leak was right where the joint in the dipstick tube was. i loosened the bolt that held the tube in place, took a rubber mallet and tapped it down a couple times. pushed down on it while tightening the bolt back up, and no more leak.

it's worth a look, cuz i didn't even think about that until i accidently saw it.

nope 4.88s do great, better than what i was running 4.88s on 36s on a 4cyl tj.
i will check that, cause i do notice the leak could be from that area, thanks

MooseXJ said:
nope 4.88s do great, better than what i was running 4.88s on 36s on a 4cyl tj.
i will check that, cause i do notice the leak could be from that area, thanks
No they don't, your causing the ATF to boil and blow out your dip stick.
With 37s you should be running 5.13 or 5.38 you will the drop into OD at about 3100 rpm

ok i checked everything out and all the bolts on the tanny pan were very loose, i am guessing thats the problem. and as for running lower than 4.88s when im on the highway i dont even get up to 3100RPM, sorry dont know much about overdrive and all that. but anyway i am hoping this will fix it, and seeing 4.88 is low as i can go, i doubt thats the problem, seeing many other people run this way.

Back