• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flex Plate Inspection Observations

wilcharl

NAXJA Forum User
I atttempted to remove my inspection plate to check my flexplates for cracks and / or loose bolts

The bottem bolt was rounded off and I did not feel like fighting with it tonight .. Anyways i was able to pull back enough of the inspection cover to see the flex plates and bolts...

The plate appears in tack with no cracks (i motored the engine with the ign disabled so i could check all the way around) (too lazy to put a wrench on the crank damper) anyways ... I did not take a wrench to the flex plate bolts to check the snugness of them but, one of the bolts i could see the edge of the hole the flexplate bolt goes thru leading me to believe that bold at least is loose....

I took a wrench and pushed on the flex plate at various positions. It seemed to have a slight ring to it ... kinda a harmonig ring but noting appeared to be slipping ...

Any comments on my observaiton (paticularly the bolt i could see the hole it goes thru and the harmonic ring of the plate)

You really want to try to get the cover off and use a prybar or long screwdriver to pry against the flexplate and look for cracks too. Are you getting weird noises from the back of the engine/tranny/TC area?

wilcharl said:
I atttempted to remove my inspection plate to check my flexplates for cracks and / or loose bolts

The bottem bolt was rounded off and I did not feel like fighting with it tonight .. Anyways i was able to pull back enough of the inspection cover to see the flex plates and bolts...

The plate appears in tack with no cracks (i motored the engine with the ign disabled so i could check all the way around) (too lazy to put a wrench on the crank damper) anyways ... I did not take a wrench to the flex plate bolts to check the snugness of them but, one of the bolts i could see the edge of the hole the flexplate bolt goes thru leading me to believe that bold at least is loose....

I took a wrench and pushed on the flex plate at various positions. It seemed to have a slight ring to it ... kinda a harmonig ring but noting appeared to be slipping ...

Any comments on my observaiton (paticularly the bolt i could see the hole it goes thru and the harmonic ring of the plate)
If it is cracked, the crack is a partial ring (annular, rather than radial) that forms right at the outer edge of the reinforcing ring for the bolts that hold the flex plate to the crankshaft flange. To see the crack, you really have to get the inspection plate off. Then you pry against the flex plate with a long pry bar and watch for movement at the edge of that reinforcing ring.

Guys if anyone cares... I pulled the inspection plate all the bolts were good and no cracks... down there while moving around i heard the banging noise that lead me to believe it was the flex plate bang... What happend was the tranny lines were banging up against the oil pain

Some idiot (me) in a rush job a few years back did not secure them very well after replacing the starter or doing some other work in the area... i moved them and was like WOW thats the same clank i heard at idle...

So thanks Eagle for the inspection tips ... looks like its good to go

I wish I had the audio file of mine when it was cracked ('89 S-10 Blazer 4.3 with 700R4). Makes a weird clacking sound, mine was cracked almost all the way around. Just like was said before, it was cracked in a circle, just about 2 inches outside of the "circle" of bolts that it mounts to the TC with. I dont think Ive still got a picture, but if I find it, Ill post it.

Oh, BTW, glad you found your problem!
Andrew

Back