• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

?

noresttill

NAXJA Forum User
what wire size?

Any formulas to remember?

I would like to know what size to use off the battery, before running to my smaller, fused lines going to the individual lights.

Its 6 gauge cable and ill be running 840 watts when all are on (which will not happen often) and plan to mix and match lights later.

Any thoughts??

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, that site is great

From Site:

Wire Gauge Recommended
Maximum Fuse Size
00 awg 400 amps
0 awg 325 amps
1 awg 250 amps
2 awg 200 amps
4 awg 125 amps
6 awg 80 amps
8 awg 50 amps
10 awg 30 amps
12 awg 20 amps
14 awg 15 amps
16 awg 7.5 amps
These are the recommended maximum fuse ratings for the corresponding wire size. Using a smaller fuse than what's recommended here will be perfectly safe.

So 80 amp for my 6 gauge
Problem:
Im running 12 gauge wire to my lights with 30 amp fuse, is that dangerous?
I thought a lot of you people ran 30 amp fuses with less than 10 gauge wire?

If you scroll down the right side of that sight there is a caculater to figure out the proper wire size for the amprage drawn and the length of the run that will have no voltage loss at the end of the run. This gauge should be well over the minumum of what the load will require. With that in mind I usually use 10A for one light, 15A for two, and as small as I can find (usually 2.5 or 3A) for fusing relay switches. If wiring anything else use the fuses that came with it as a guide. You should have the fuse as close to the power tap as possable.

Oops, sorry only glanced at the page the first time.

Thanks, ill change over to 20 amp fuses where needed since 240 watts would need 20 amps and the most ill run on one circuit is 200 watts.

Thank you very much Mr. Doo, much appreciated.

I like to have this information with me all the time -- both in the garage, and in the field. So, I made this table using industry-recommended values and printed copies to keep in my tool boxes.

Auto-Wiring-Gauge-Talbe-Sm.gif

Here's a link to the high-resolution (6" X 4" at 300 dpi) version.

http://arrowheadmfg.com/tempItems/WireTables/Auto-Wiring-Gauge-Table.gif

I printed this one on a piece of 4x6 photo paper, then used clear packaging tape to secure it to the inside lid of my electrical tool box in the Jeep. Feel free to download and use it as you see fit.

Back