• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my steering box is dead

mdl

NAXJA Forum User
It makes noises, leaks a hella lot, and is jumpy.. its starting to make driving scary. I really dont have the money to replace it.. insurance just killed me financially.. is there a quick fix for this kinda thing? i searched but came up with nothing. from the look of things this is going to set me back about 300 big ones...

OK, just for the record, are you talking about the pump mounted on the engine or the steering box mounted on the frame rail? What year model?

steering box mounted on the frame rail. its a 1996 sport... sorry

Edit* theres a possibility it may also be the pump.. theres fluid all throughout the area and theres leak down ward onto the box.. not too sure which it may be.

Get a spray bottle of Castrol SuperClean in the purple bottle. Squirt the whole area, let it sit a few minutes and wash it down with water, preferably hot. A quarter wash does a good job, but don't get the TPS wet. Once that is done, you should be able to see where the fluid is coming from.

There is a possibility the fluid is being ejected from the lid on the pump. If you overfill, or get any moisture in the fluid, that will readily happen. If you let the fluid get low, then put in fluid, you may have a air bubble in the system, That will cause a real nasty whirring noise and can cause the reservoir to belch fluid as well. Clean it up and do some testing before spending any money.

If there is air in the system, crank the wheel from lock to lock several times, preferrably with the front wheels off the ground. That will normally clear any air.

well it was deffinatly leaking big before. happened like this: I come out of work one night and see fluid all over the sway bar, nothing in the engine compartment. i open the resaviour and thers nothing inside it. which makes me beleive it is the box on the frame rail and not the pump. ill have to go test it first. now its full of fluid and its doing all this so ill go do what you said and get back to you.

If you need a gearbox then contact PSC. I have one of there X Duty ones but you can get a more street friendly one for $225. They do an outstanding job on the box and you do not need to give them a core. I have 32” tires and without moving I can turn with my pinky. There is no use in paying for a rebuilt one from the auto parts store when you can get a professional built one for a little more money.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com

helix said:
well it was deffinatly leaking big before. happened like this: I come out of work one night and see fluid all over the sway bar, nothing in the engine compartment. i open the resaviour and thers nothing inside it. which makes me beleive it is the box on the frame rail and not the pump. ill have to go test it first. now its full of fluid and its doing all this so ill go do what you said and get back to you.
Check the hoses. JIM.

yea its the box not the pump. maybe ill look into an aftrmarket one like c130 said. illxj i checked the hoses a few min ago and its all fine.

ehh that was my friends nick, he just forgot to log out.

got the pm asatxj, ill get back to you. thanks.

Back