• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tune Up

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
It is final now: This weekend I am going to do a tuneup. 99XJ, all parts from the dealer as recommended.
I read everything (or at least most of it...) on this website about tuneup, but I need you to tell me about all the pittfalls since this is going to be my first time. For example: Recently I changed the brakes and in all the writeups I read no one warned me that I have to retreive the mounting bolt bushing and boot, before mounting the caliper on the rotor...luckily this was simple enough to figure out without inflicting any damage.
So I am looking for little details like that...yes, I know that it is important not to screw up the fire order...feel free to tell me how you did it though...:laugh3:
Thanks in advance
Boris
P.S. Changing the distributor, cap, rotor and plugs plus painting the axles with POR15...

Don't unplug or remove more than one wire at a time. THat way you can't confuse what wire went to what plug. Wen I do wires and plugs I start at the front of the motor, take off the wire, put the new plug in, then put the new wire on. When changing the ditributor, I pull one wire, then put it onto the corresponding point on the new cap. One at a time.

I use making tape and markers to label one end of the wires then change out the plugs, then do the same for the dist. cap

I'd recommend you torque down your spark plugs (can't remember the exact setting right off the top of my head). Other than that, it's pretty straight forward with a little bit of common sense.

yeah, don't use a big honkin wrench on the spark plugs to put them in. I usually tighten them down until they're tight, and then another 1/2 turn to crush the little metal gasket/washer deal. Be prepared to use some force to take the old ones out though, especially if they've been in there a long time.

Back