• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very confused, no consistent answers!!!

xjgeek

NAXJA Forum User
very simple question, but i get many different answers.
the jeep cherokee classic 4.0, i think the AW4 tranny (19 bolts on fluid pan). The question is, what kind of ATF do i need to use when doing a service and flush??
the owners manual says use DEXIII, service manual calls for ATF+3, and one dealer says DEXIII and another dealer says ATF+3, Napa says use DEXIII, Advance Auto says use ATF+3, abd AutoZone calls for fluid called "AF3" more than likely referring to ATF+3. NO CONSISTENCY!!! If anyone can please show me a website or let me know what to use...

Confused,

XJGeeK

Sounds like +3 and III maybe the same thing, kinda like a Crescent wrench and an adjustable wrench. See if the guy at the dealer will show you what it says in an FSM I would trust the FSM before AZ.

owners manual recommendations

i have found a jeep enthusiasts website that said to ignore the manual and the dipstick. the dipstick doesnt specify type, but thats irrelevant.

STILL CONFUSED

Re: owners manual recommendations

xjgeek said:
i have found a jeep enthusiasts website that said to ignore the manual and the dipstick. the dipstick doesnt specify type, but thats irrelevant.

STILL CONFUSED

I suppose there's a certain irony suggesting on one Jeep enthusiasts' website that you ignore the anonymous advice of other Jeep enthusiasts' websites, but advice is cheap if you don't have to pick up the pieces. Advice on the web is worth about what you pay for it.

In my family at this point are two AW4's, one with close to 190K miles, and one with 232K, both of whose AW4's work perfectly. They feed exclusively on Dino Dexron as the manual recommends. That's my advice, and if it blows up your transmission, I will refund the full price of the consultation.

I second Mathew. My XJ has 154K and I use Dexron II/DexronIII when I change as recommended in the Owner's Manual. When I changed fluid last time, the bottom of the pan was clean and pretty-no metal particles. Those guys at Advance get confused sometimes.

XJGeek,

I have the owner's manual and the service manuals for my 88 XJ. I noticed the manuals may be behind when it comes to the fluid to use.

As the owner we are only given the owner's manual and told to maintain the vehicle in accordance with it to keep our warranty. I would use the fluid called out in the owner's manual. I am not going to get into the GL-3 vs GL-5 for the later manual transmissions, been dozens of posts on here about that.

There was a tech service bulletin put out in the early 90s saying to make sure the Dextron AFT used does have a GM certification number on the bottle. It will begin with a "D". This shows they met GM's standards. I put mobil 1 ATF in my AW4 and lost MPG. I checked the mobil 1 site and no "D" cert number on the material data sheet. I paid the dealer to do a transfusion and my lost 3 MPG returned.

I have had good luck with synthetic gear lube in the axles and synthetic ATF in the transfercase.

Also you have a drain plug on the transmission pan, you can change fluid without pulling the pan. I get out 3 quarts when I do it that way.

Martin

I had the same issue when asking at the dealership for my 98, the parts guy didn't know what it took because there was listings saying that my year took both atf + 3 and the dextron. I just took the 1 gallon jug of dextron III like I always run and used that and it has been working fine ever since. They told me that they think that it has 2 possible listings because if I had a 4 cyl and it had a chrysler tranny, it would take the ATF + 3. I don't know how much truth is behind that, just sayin what I heard.

I just did my fluid on my 96 aw4. I too, had the same confusion from the same sources.

I went to the dealer and they said and use DEXRON III.

The AW4 uses Dexron III and the chrysler tranny uses ATF+3. I think virtually all chrysler trannies use ATF+3.

The AW4 is not a chrysler tranny.

FatXJ said:
The AW4 uses Dexron III and the chrysler tranny uses ATF+3. I think virtually all chrysler trannies use ATF+3.

The AW4 is not a chrysler tranny.
Correct! The AW4 is a Toyota transmission and I'm damn glad to have it in my XJ. I'm using Mobil1 ATF instead of the mercon/dexron III.

sbxj,

I think it is more accurate to say toyota and the XJ use the same AW4 transmission. Here the Aisin warner site so you can read up on their products: http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/eng/p/frameset.html

It looks like AW sells transmission to nearly every vehicle company around the world.

A guy I work with who is a mechanic on the side was telling me the AW4 is a copy of a Ford Transmission. He said the AW4 is simple to work on and is bullet proof.

We are fortunate that AMC/Jeep designed the drive system of the XJ and not Chrysler. At least the XJ was designed with the Jeep philosopy for durability. We all have read and hear about Grand Cherokees with dirve line problems, they use a Chrysler transmission.

At AMC went out to find the best transmission vs Chrysler trying to keep all the parts suppliers in house.

I had a bad experiece running Mobil 1 in my AW4, hope you don't have the same problem. I have posted about it before.

Martin

there was a recent thread with the similar information about fluids.

I seem to remember some hesitation about using the Mobil 1.

I had it in mine, but changed it back to factory specs. I did not have any problems that I could place on Mobil 1, but with the confusion on fluid type and the ingredient in the fluids I went back.

I do use Mobil 1 synthecs in all other applications.

Let's get even more confused....

Quote from FSM "Use API GL5 75W-90 grade lubrication for manual transmissions. Use MERCON type ATF for AW-4 automatic transmissions. Use DEXRON II or ATF PLUS type ATF for 727 and 999 automatic transmissions. *Quantity will vary according to amount of ATF that remained in the converter."

HUH??

ok.... so i see that the AW4 uses DEX III, the fluid and filter/screen change has already happened, and i used ATF+3, will there be an issue? or do i need to change it to DEXIII ASAP??

-- almost not confused

I would take it somewhere and have the whole system flushed with Dex III asap. I am not sure how compatable those 2 fluids are

Back