• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cat replacement non weld?

Daveisdabomb

NAXJA Forum User
so I'm getting a rattle from the cat, not sure if it is plugged or not or if it's just the heat shield rattling. The cat is welded into the pipe so I'll have to hacksaw it off. I wanted to use a universal replacement, can that just be clamped in the existing pipe?

My cat is clamped on both sides, it works, but I'll get the next one welded together. U bolts don't stand up well to the heat.

DSCN1037.jpg

I'm with BC. My entire exhaust is only six months old, and the u-bolts that hold my cat on are rusted solid. Everything else is shiny new..

just noticed you're in pheonix- probably fewer rust issues there- clamp or weld, it's up to you and the price diff probably isn't that much anyway, so i would weld at least the cat, and do every exhaust pipe if it's stainless.

I planned on doing my own exhaust and clamping it together with ubolts and strap metal just long enough to get it to the muffler shop. They'll weld something up pretty cheap.

I live in the rust belt. I just replaced my cat on an 11 year old Jeep. The clamps were solid rust. Clamps rust quickly but I've never had one let go. Even if they did it really doesn't matter to me since the mating pieces usually darn near fuse together anyway. Personally the clamps work fine for me. Whatever you do will be fine.

Last edited:
true, rust won't be a problem for me. So do the univeral cats clamp into the existing pipe or do you have to get a spacer or reducer? I'm leary about cutting too much pipe. I'm looking at getting a Maremont part # 38503

You have to be pretty careful of inside diameters and outside diameters of tubing for the replacement cat. It doesn't have to be off much, to take a job that should be easy and make it darned near impossible without a torch.
I've seen a lot of guys try to force the pipes together and forget the down pipe is connected to the exhaust manifold and beating on the cat end of the pipe, can break the manifold.
Stainless steel muffler clamps can occasionally be had fairly cheap, JC Whitney etc. May be double the price, but less than half the aggravation, especially if you have to do some trail repairs.

X2 What 8Mud said. FWIW, My cat came with an extra piece of pipe about 12" long if I remember to bridge the distance between the cat and the muffler so if you're buying a universal you'll probably need to get a short piece of pipe to do the same thing.

Last edited:
yeah the cat is welded really close to the muffler on mine. Did the 93 come originally welded in like that? I'm wondering if maybe it's been replaced once already. I don't think it's clogged, it doesn't radiate much heat, but I think it's the cause of my exhaust rattle. Any way to tell for sure if it's the cause?

How many miles does this Jeep have? I replaced mine @ 145K but I think it probably died long before that. The entire innnards had separated from the case. When I removed and shook the cat it sounded like a rock inside a tin can.

As I recall my cat and muffler were welded directly together. My new cat is much shorter than the original,... that's why it needs an extension.

yardape:
As I recall my cat and muffler were welded directly together. My new cat is much shorter than the original,... that's why it needs an extension.

Sounds like mine, the muffler is right behind the cat. I guess it's a good thing that the replacement is smaller since I'll need to put an adapter in there in order to clamp it.
Did you run a piece of pipe between the cat and muffler, or just put in a adapter for the clamp?

Daveisdabomb said:
yardape:

Sounds like mine, the muffler is right behind the cat. I guess it's a good thing that the replacement is smaller since I'll need to put an adapter in there in order to clamp it.
Did you run a piece of pipe between the cat and muffler, or just put in a adapter for the clamp?

Yes. Cat, then pipe then muffler and tailpipe

Back