• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fans & CFM's Needed for 4.0

FJH97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Guy's, I need help here ASAP:helpme:. I got a Be-Cool Radiator that the bracket for the fan shrouds are all out of wack. I'm thinking about doing a daul electric setup & getting rid of the clutch fan. What are your thoughts about this, If you did it let me know what you used?, and if you have a formula or know about CFM's please let me know min. needed for the 4.0? I would also like pic's e-mailed to me @ [email protected]. I figure w/ the Be-Cool Radiator, 160* stat, ported thermostat housing & Flowkooler H2O pump 2500 CFM's should be the min:dunno:. Thanks in advance for the help.

I know this post is old, but for anyone reading this and thinking about an electric fan conversion, this might help. I am working on my dual electric fans right now for my 1998 Cherokee Classic. I chose a Perma Cool 16" ("finger chopper") because it is rated to pull 2950 CFM (If you do this, go with the Perma Cool 14"... still rated at 2950 CFM but 2" smaller... I should have used this and I might not have had to build my shroud from scratch). I got this idea from the guys at gojeep.com. That is a site you should look at if you want to do this conversion. The thing is, mounting the fan to the shroud is not as simple as they make it seem on their website. I ended up having to fabricate an entirely new shroud out of thin steel. It took me two days just for the shroud. This is not a conversion to be taken lightly. I had to modify the alternator bracket, chop of the nose of the stock fan's idler pully (which if I need to convert back will require a trip to a wrecking yard for a new one), figure out how to re-route the serpentine belt, get a compatable but shorter serpentine belt (haven't done this yet), construct the shroud, figure out how to mount the fan to the shroud, and now I am trying to figure out how to add another tempeture sending unit to control the new fan. I don't want to use existing sender because it is meant to be an auxilary and comes at too hot a tempeture (I've heard 215-225). I haven't even begun to work on how to wire the fan up yet, but hopefully that is easier than the rest of this has been. About the 160 degree thermostat. I highly recommend against doing this. Engines have more power less at a bit higher temperatures. Also, the computer has been designed to run around 195 - 210 degrees, so it will constantly be trying to adjust to figure out how to compensate for the lower temputer and use more fuel. Besides, the temperature rating of the thermostat has nothing to do with whether your jeep overheats or not. You could have a 100 degree thermostat and it would still overheat if the rest of your system can't keep up with the heat being produced by the engine. I would recommend a 195 High Flow thermostat (Mr. Gasket) from Hesco, though. Supposedly it is more accurate and allows a bit more coolant to flow when it is open which would probably help. I would also recommend the high flow water pump from Hesco over the Flow-Kooler unit. I have purchased both, and the Hesco unit seems to have a better and higher quality impeller blade. The Flow Kooler one looks like they just took a stock pump and riveted some sheet metal to it. So those are the struggles I've had so far with my conversion. Good luck.

Back